Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superduked

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2023
hi peeps , so I have a program that is unresponsive and I can't delete , the program was working fine yesterday but today its unresponsive , won't open , force quit makes no difference
any help how I can delete and reinstall ?
the program is Bambu studio a 3d slicing program used with Bambu's 3d printers

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Here's something you can try.
1. Get App Cleaner (https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/)
2. Make sure the app you want to delete is fully closed — if force quit isn't working, go into Activity Monitor, search for instances of it running and end the process.
3. Drag the app into App Cleaner. It should remove it and offer to remove all associated file (you might have some files you want to keep, but I'd get rid of any plist files).
4. Get the app from wherever you got it from and reinstall. You could try roll back to a previous version to see if that fixes it.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
A couple of suggestions:

1) Check your login items to make sure Bambu isn't there. If it is, remove it. Then reboot. That may help to ensure the program doesn't open upon reboot.

2) Go to https://forum.bambulab.com/ and ask if there is an uninstaller program. If not, ask them for a complete list of all files that need to be removed to completely uninstall the program (this will probably include files stored in your user Library folder). Better still, you might want to do a Sotlight search, identifying all files that contain "bambu". Then, after excluding the bambu files you personally created, you could list those files/folders in your post, asking someone to confirm that these are the files/folders that need to be removed. If they say yes, do the following:
a) Empty the Trash.
b) Move all those files/folders to the Trash.
c) Leave the Trash alone and use your computer for a few days. If doing so messed up other programs (which seems unlikely), you can simply restore everything back from the Trash and start over again, this time being more careful in what you remove. If you are comfortable that everything is working fine, empty the Trash.

Reactions: superduked

superduked

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2023
Result , a simple app cleaner done the trick , i was doubtful of app cleaners but it’s proved me wrong , reinstalled bambu studio
and all seems to be working fine now
thanks for the replies really appreciated 👍🏻

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Result , a simple app cleaner done the trick , i was doubtful of app cleaners but it’s proved me wrong , reinstalled bambu studio
and all seems to be working fine now
thanks for the replies really appreciated 👍🏻
It’s been a problem for Mac’s since forever. Appcleaner is what I have used for a long time. Does the trick. Apples ‘drag to the trash’ method is only good if the apps stick to the optimal method of installing everything in the same place. Of course they don’t ever stick to this. Appcleaner ferrets out all the hidden stuff for you. Seamless uninstalling.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
I've used an app cleaner before, and it relied on making its best guesses what the app's associated files are. That's easy for files/folders that have the app's name in them, but not so effective for those that are cryptically named. I found it's thus not a perfect solution.

[That's why uninstallers are so nice. They are designed by the developer, and thus know every file/folder the app installs.]

A perfect solution would be to have an app that automatically opens up whenever you are installing a program (or runs continuously in the background), and tracks every new file that program installs, while it's installing them. Thus it knows exactly which files belong to the app and which don't.

Ideally, this tracking should be done by MacOS itself. I.e., it should be something Apple provides.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I've used an app cleaner before, and it relied on making its best guesses what the app's associated files are. That's easy for files/folders that have the app's name in them, but not so effective for those that are cryptically named. I found it's thus not a perfect solution.

A perfect solution would be to have an app that automatically opens up whenever you are installing a program (or runs continuously in the background), and tracks every new file that program installs, while it's installing them. Thus it knows exactly which files belong to the app and which don't.

Ideally, this tracking should be done by MacOS itself. I.e., it should be something Apple provides.
There are uninstallers that do what you describe. I used to use one them several years ago. If I can remember the name, I will post.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
There are uninstallers that do what you describe. I used to use one them several years ago. If I can remember the name, I will post.
Yeah, I just added a mention about uninstallers. But those are app-specific, and most apps don't have uninstallers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.