Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viotcr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2018
I have a jailbroken iPad 3 that I haven't touched in a couple of years, and forgot the 4-digit passcode. The MacBookPro that I used to backup and sync the iPad recently crashed. So, I cannot connect and restore the iPad without losing my precious data; particularly a book's manuscript that I was partially writing in Notes.

After 9 failed attempts, I am down to my last attempt before the iPad is locked. I've tried numerous applications to try and backup the iPad in DFU/Restore mode to no avail.

Then I came across: Majd Alfhaily's post http://blog.alfhaily.me/2015/03/bruteforce/ where he was able to accomplish the exact task that I am trying to do using his TransLock Brutefore tool. I tried to replicate his work, but my programming skills are limited. I got as far as downloading his libTransLock file on my GitHub...(https://github.com/freemanrepo/libTransLock).

Does anyone know how to compile or execute his work? Has anyone else been successful at bypassing the passcode on a jailbroken iPad/ iPhone using TransLock or another tool? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Cheers!

Last edited:

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
See, I think the word, "hacks" in the title of this sub is what attracts the nafarious and opportunists. Perhaps if this forum was simply titled, "Jailbreak" it would help to slow down these types of threads.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
See, I think the word, "hacks" in the title of this sub is what attracts the nafarious and opportunists. Perhaps if this forum was simply titled, "Jailbreak" it would help to slow down these types of threads.

Where I agree with you on this, 99% of the time, there is always that 1% chance someone is desperate. I've been there, so I sympathize, and I TRY, or I HOPE people are better than just thieves who need this service. Problem is, if you ask for help with this, you're automatically guilty (and usually so, I suppose.)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Where I agree with you on this, 99% of the time, there is always that 1% chance someone is desperate. I've been there, so I sympathize, and I TRY, or I HOPE people are better than just thieves who need this service. Problem is, if you ask for help with this, you're automatically guilty (and usually so, I suppose.)
Here's where I get lost though…

Initially, OP says this…

I have a jailbroken iPad 3 that I haven't touched in a couple of years, and forgot the 4-digit passcode.

OK. That can happen.

But OP loses me here (emphasis mine)…

So, I cannot connect and restore the iPad without losing my precious data; particularly a book's manuscript that I was partially writing in Notes.

So…this manuscript is SO precious to OP that he hasn't touched the iPad it's on in a couple of years. It's of such importance that OP FORGETS the PIN code? It's SO valuable to OP that he wrote this precious manuscript in NOTES!!!!

What? Seriously? NOTES?!!!

I call BS. If something is that valuable to a person then it's somewhere where it's easily reachable and you haven't abandoned it.

Finally, the OP's second statement is this…

The MacBookPro that I used to backup and sync the iPad recently crashed.

OK. It crashed. But if OP backs up and syncs that iPad then OPs statement here puts the lie to the first statement that OP hasn't touched the iPad in a couple of years.

People just vomit statements with no regard to what they are saying. It assumes that the people reading are stupid and cannot think or put 2+2 together.

And I'm not one to be played for stupid.

PS. Honorable mention…

OP has an account with github, but apparently doesn't know how to code or compile. Sure.

but my programming skills are limited. I got as far as downloading his libTransLock file on my GitHub...

Last edited:

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
So…this manuscript is SO precious to OP that he hasn't touched the iPad it's on in a couple of years. It's of such importance that OP FORGETS the PIN code? It's SO valuable to OP that he wrote this precious manuscript in NOTES!!!!

What? Seriously? NOTES?!!!

I call BS. If something is that valuable to a person then it's somewhere where it's easily reachable and you haven't abandoned it.

Yes notes. So what? I've used the notes app to write my project's most important ideas. It's easy and fast to access when you need to write something before you forget it and it syncs across devices and of top of that you get them backed up to your email automatically.

Finally, the OP's second statement is this…

OK. It crashed. But if OP backs up and syncs that iPad then OPs statement here puts the lie to the first statement that OP hasn't touched the iPad in a couple of years.

It makes sense. Maybe he backed up the ipad two years ago and that Mac stopped working. I have very valuable data on a computer of mine that no longer works. Why are we judging people here?

Now on topic, yeah this is a very delicated topic no one wants to be part of. So assuming the Original Poster is not lying, can't he take it to the Apple store with proof of ownership so that they can restore his passcode?

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes notes. So what? I've used the notes app to write my project's most important ideas. It's easy and fast to access when you need to write something before you forget it and it syncs across devices and of top of that you get them backed up to your email automatically.
I can see that for quick note taking, which later on you add to the main document, but not for writing a manuscript.

I have my own files I value. They are Word documents, stored on Dropbox. That way I am not dependent on any one device having the sole copy of what I value. Those files can be edited anywhere on any device, including a PC and Android. Any notes I take are added to the main Word documents as expeditiously as possible. I value my data so I don't leave it hanging out there.

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
I can see that for quick note taking, which later on you add to the main document, but not for writing a manuscript.

I have my own files I value. They are Word documents, stored on Dropbox. That way I am not dependent on any one device having the sole copy of what I value. Those files can be edited anywhere on any device, including a PC and Android. Any notes I take are added to the main Word documents as expeditiously as possible. I value my data so I don't leave it hanging out there.

And that's ok, everyone has their own prefered way to store data according to their own needs. Personally I'm glad I don't have to touch Word anymore. I hate its bloated interface.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Notes backs up to iCloud (unless of course you chose the local storage only notes, which would be a dumb choice) automatically. So you could log on with your iCloud account to another device and your manuscript should be accessible once the notes sync. Bam, done. Throw that locked iPad 3 in the garbage can.

Reactions: FLYING SE7EN

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Signs up the day he starts a thread + never returns to thread or post anywhere else on MacRumors (usually) = fishing for methods of getting into iDevice that he's locked out of (for a reason).

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Signs up the day he starts a thread + never returns to thread or post anywhere else on MacRumors (usually) = fishing for methods of getting into iDevice that he's locked out of (for a reason).
Agree.

Usually the way it goes. Post the sob story, get nailed by the users, check the replies and then realization that this forum is not SiNfuL iPhone and moves along elsewhere.

Reactions: braddick

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
But fellas, Shakespeare's manuscript is on that iPad 3!!! If we don't help him unlock it, we might be missing out on the next Hamlet!!! Doubt thou the stars are fire?!?

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.