PLEASE HELP - Updated EFI to 2.2 on MBP and now it's messed up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danistyping, Sep 20, 2011.

1. danistyping macrumors regular

Hey guys. I'm hoping someone understands whats happening with my 2011 13" MBP (corei5, 4gb ram, 750 gig HDD)

I updated the computer with EFI Firmware 2.2 and the most recent security update a few days ago.

My computer will boot to my username fine.

It immediately begins INDEXING (wtf!?) even though that obviously isn't needed.

My HDD spins like crazy and I notice in activity monitor 3 things: Finder and MDWorker will user over 100% of my CPU, my RAM is completely used down to 3MB free, and my hard drive free space is going down slowly as i leave the computer on.

Nothing will open, constant beach balls, the longer I leave the comp on the worse it gets.

My fans will run on high to cool down the computer which is obviously working very hard.

I have tried re-installing EFI 2.2 (didn't work), I have tried going back to 2.1 but Lion says its not compatible.

I have re-set the PRAM, no luck.

I have repaired disk permissions, no luck.

The Guest account boots up fine

The HDD is fine because it boots up in the same time as always and runs guest account fine, and my account for the first minute or two fine.

Does anyone know WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? It's driving me nuts. Thanks for your help in advance.

Dan

2. danistyping thread starter macrumors regular

I also forgot to mention that it boots up fine in Safe Mode to any account.

3. cruisn76 macrumors newbie

Ran into the same issue twice. The first time I got the beach ball of death and it rendered my MacBook useless. I did a time machine restore and it fix that. I attempted a second time and my MacBook hung at boot screen and kept asking me to plug my power cord in (which it was the whole time). This time, time machine didn't fix it. So now I am putting leopard back on. Can't deal with issues like this. Leopard just feels more refined than Lion and I just want stability till Lion can be tamed

Edit: I am using MacBookPro8,3 (17" i7 2.2GHz)