Please help: upgrading Mac OS X Server 10.4.11 to 10.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NickMatzke, Jan 6, 2012.

1. NickMatzke macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So, I've got an Intel Mac which my advisor gave me several years ago. It came with 10.4 installed on it, which I've stuck with because I'm stubborn. However, finally, compatibility issues with new software I have to run have forced me to upgrade to 10.6.

So, I paid my $30 and bought the 10.6 CD. However, when running the CD, I got an error that basically said, "Mac OS X Server 10.4 cannot be upgraded to 10.6".

This was the first time I even realized that my OS was Mac OS X Server 10.4.11 instead of just Mac OS X 10.4.11. I have no need of the server capabilities.

So, here's my question:

* Is there any way to tweak something so I can just do the standard upgrade to 10.6?

* If I have to buy something else, what's the cheapest/least painful way to get this machine to 10.6?

Cheers,
    Nick

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you choose the upgrade option, or the archive and install, or even reformat the drive and do a clean install?

I think the latter two should, the archive and install option replaces the system directories but leaves your home folder intact. The clean install does just that, you wipe the system and you now have a blank slate to install the OS and then reinstall all your apps. I would recommend the archive and install option for obvious reasons

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

10.6 removed the Archive and Install option. While this would have been great advice to upgrade to 10.5, it won't work in this case.

OP, I would recommend backing up your data using Carbon Copy Cloner, then erasing the drive and installing 10.6, then use the Migration Assistant to bring over your data. If that won't work for the same reason, then you'll be able to restore manually.

jW

4. NickMatzke thread starter macrumors newbie

ugh, I was hoping to avoid a complete re-do of all installs, copying over of all files, etc. Maybe I can just get a new computer...