Please help! Urgent! [Mac Running Slow]

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tduran, Jun 5, 2013.

1. tduran macrumors newbie

OK, I started a new job and got them to buy an old mac for me to do graphics. I have Mac 2GHz Intel Core Duo 2 1 GB 667 Mhz DDR SD ram running OS X 10.7.5 (Lion)

I use Firefox and QuarkXpress 9, check email, make pdfs...that's it No other software (just what's standard: iphoto, photo booth, preview, I only uploaded Quark and PDF Reader)

All good until about 2 weeks ago. Things were slow. I had some large graphic files, I backed up to CDs. Things still slow. I decided to try to clean cache. I deleted some files I thought were unecessary (languages, programs I don't use etc.)

I also deleted Quark 7, forgetting that the upgrade to 9 was a download, I had installed 7 from disc first.

Guess I deleted too much. Left it deleting overnight as it said over 9000 files to delete.

Worked slower for a day or 2, (quark takes FOREVER to launch, firefox too, mail is slow) Now I can't get it to open at all, grey screen. Did clean boot yesterday, but really couldn't do any work on it.

I figured I would reinstall OS. this machine came loaded, but I have Snow Leopard 10.6.3 from home computer. Put disc in, machine launched but couldn't find disc to load OS on...

I can do a Clean boot and I opened while holding Command+r, but its all soooo slow!! I can't work like this!

Can anyone give me guidance?

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

That's a 7-year-old computer with 1Gb of RAM. The maximum it can install is 2 or 3Gb. (You don't say what sort of Mac -- iMac? MacMini? MacBook?)

That's not enough for doing serious work with Quark Xpress, let alone anything else. The problem is not the number of files on your hard drive, so deleting files is not going to make it better (though it's probably got a small drive, and you want to keep around 10% free space.)

Your work bought you THAT for your job? :eek:

3. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I was fixing to say the same thing...your new job must already be in a financial crunch if that is all they could afford to get you. Those specs are bad for Snow Leopard, much less Lion. Is it possible to revert to an older OS that uses less resources? Otherwise, all you can do is add more RAM, but I would try to get a more modern PC from your workplace.

4. tduran thread starter macrumors newbie

I work for a Charity

Well, I work for a charity and am trying to show them what my expertise can do for them. I am hoping to get an upgraded computer in a few years time, meanwhile I had to replace the hard drive.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have a few 5 to 7 year old Macs. One thing I find works wonders for older Macs is upgraded RAM and SSD. A 128 GB SSD can be had for around $100 and it reminds me of a new machine.

For personal use, I have a newer 15 in MBP with a 7200 RPM drive and compared to an SSD based machine, loading large apps seems slow.

If the charity you work for is able to give tax receipts, you might be able to get parts donated to upgrade your Mac.