Please help urgent! Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidjude, Jun 2, 2013.

1. davidjude macrumors newbie

*Ok. So heres the deal. I want to get my father an iphone 5 for fathers day. He is eligible for an upgrade and I was wondering if I could go into an att store and use his upgrade to get the phone for him and then give him the iphone 5 on fathers day. Is it possible for me to do this without him at the att store with me? He is the only one on the line/contract. Or do I have to do it another way? Please help

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

U are talking renewing HIS contract. One would think nobody want anybody to do this for him/her without full authorization.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nope. You need him to do the upgrade. Best to take him on Father's Day. I bought one for my mom for Christmas and AT&T required her to be there.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

^^ This.
    Nice thought, but you would be unlawfully entering someone other than yourself into a binding contract. Even if you could do that it would mean that he has to abide by terms he was not advised on or agreed to in person.

If you are a minor (under 18) it would further be illegal for the store to allow you to sign any form of contract because contracts cannot be made with minors and you would be acting as a "proxy" or something like that.

You also don't know what he intends to do with his upgrade.

It's a nice gesture, but there's a whole bunch of legal ramifications you aren't considering here.

5. macman312 macrumors 6502

Can you get your mom on as a registered contact? Then she can do it without him knowing

6. hafr macrumors 68030

"Here you go, Dad! I locked you in for another two years and you'll have to pay for your own gift over the course of these years. Congrats!"

Sounds great.

7. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Give him a $200 Verizon gift card.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

8. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Your intentions are very good. However...

• Do you know for a fact that he wants a new iphone?
    • Do you know that he is willing and able to commit to a new 2-year contract?
    • Has he looked at other phones?
    • It may not be the best etiquette to "buy" someone a gift that they have to continuously pay for over 2 years

9. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

"Hey dad I bought you a car and put it under your name! What? No I only paid the down payment, you can handle the monthly payments, right?" :rolleyes:

I'd suggest verifying that he wants a contract, wants an iPhone, and wants to pay for 2/3 of the price of his gift. Or get him an unlocked one, bc if not, he'll be paying more for this gift than you will.

10. GoCubsGo, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2013

GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

To those who are pissing on the OP for what is actually quite common, get real. It would behove the OP to ask if his dad wanted an iPhone 5. I know my mom sure did and I wouldn't have done it otherwise. Not to mention, I could not have done it without her. It seems like a great gesture but it can't be pulled off without his dad. I also want to assume the best, in that, his dad has expressed interest in the phone.

11. hafr, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2013

hafr macrumors 68030

Tying someone to a contract without their consent can very well be fraud.

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

An unlocked or fully paid for iPhone would cost exactly the same each month. However he would not be locked into a contract.

A $200 gift card is a good solution.

Getting the Mom to do it may be an answer. But that would be locking in a new contract. I wouldn't even try without permission.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Read the OP's post and his intent. This isn't fraud, you can clearly tell if the OP is being honest, that he simply wants to buy a gift for a dad. Not everyone is out to defraud someone. Good lord!

14. rockitdog Suspended

this!!!

15. hafr macrumors 68030

What are you trying to say, that in no way, shape or form the tying of one person to a contract by another without the first person's consent can be considered a crime as long as the other person's intents were to give the first person a gift? Or is just that you don't want to call it "fraud"?

Not being out to commit a crime doesn't mean you can't commit it. Get real.

16. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

what jessica is trying to say is that, for it to be considered fraud - as you suggested - , the intent has to result in financial or personal gain.

since the OP's intent is not to take advantage of his dad's "new contract" - never mind that his dad is well, a family member - fraud seems a little far stretched.

so you have put words in her mouth when you stated: "in any way, shape or form". You were talking about fraud, remember?

17. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Just get your dad a card and take him out for a beer.

18. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Print a photo of an iPhone 5 and wrap it up in a box. Then, when he opens it, tell him you want to take him to the store to buy him one. If he says he doesn't want it, you're not out the $200 for the gift card. But, the wrapping and preparation still shows thoughtfulness and planning.

19. hafr macrumors 68030

(I wasn't the one stating it in the beginning, and Jessica said something in the lines of that the person mentioning fraud didn't know the meaning of the word. But these posts have been removed/edited.)

In that case the laws are different in different countries, as in the UK false representation is fraud. To be able to tie his father to a contract without him knowing about it, either he'd commit fraud by false representation or a person working for the carrier would commit fraud by abuse of position.

The personal gain-bit is not required, it's either making a gain for themselves or (the risk of) a loss for someone else that counts. "I though he would be happy" would probably not cut it as an excuse.

So what crime would be committed in the states if you tie someone to a contract without their consent, since it's not fraud?

20. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Well, renewing his contract is a bad idea for Fathers day. Basically you're saying "Hey, thanks for being a great dad. Here's 2 years of monthly payments to verizon as a gift".

I'd rather have a beer instead.

However, if you're going to buy the phone 100% outright (no contract) then you're a good son.

21. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Buy him an iPad Mini. Is he a big technology fan? I think unless you buy the handset outright at an Apple Store it is a very bad idea. (Unless you are multimillionaires and a measly 2yr contract means nothing).

22. err404 macrumors 68020

A phone is a comitment. One thing to keep on mind is that Apple has a key note next week that will discuss iOS7 and possibly the next iPhone as well. Buying him a phone right before this announcement is a bad idea. He may feel compelled to keep the phone simply because it was a gift.
    I say wrap an empty box. Even better, try to score an actual iPhone5 empty box to give to him.

23. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

If the OP is an authorized user on the account, can't he just do that without his dad being present?