Please help - Various Mail app issues

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by eric3312, May 11, 2015.

1. eric3312 macrumors 6502

Hello everyone,

I've noticed some bizarre behavior with my mail app on my phone. Let me give you some background information, so hopefully you can help me out.

I have 2 accounts configured. One is a Gmail account set up with all the default settings. It is set to Fetch new e-mails every hour.

The other e-mail account is my work's Exchange mail account which is set to Push new messages to my device.

I also have my notifications set up so that they appear on the lock screen, or as banners if the device is unlocked.

Here are my questions/concerns:

1. Today, I noticed that I didn't get any notifications for work e-mails that were coming in. I found this to be a bit odd as I was sure I got some new e-mails throughout the day while here at work. So, I loaded up the mail app and saw that my Exchange account hadn't updated since Saturday. I performed a force refresh a few different times and the missing messages finally populated. Given the weird behavior here, I decided to look at the Gmail account to see when IT was last updated..same thing..Saturday. Since performing the force refresh, I've sent a few test messages to the accounts and they appear to be working as normal again.

I have 5 bars in my area and my WiFi at work and home is functioning perfectly fine. Haven't had any dropped connectivity..no modem reboots necessary...

I know the connectivity is fine as I have been able to access the web on my phone, get iMessages, and do other data required activities just fine..all weekend in fact.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Are there still some iOS 8 bugs with the mail app? If so, I would have to say I'm quite disappointed that Apple is working on a frickin' redesigned music app while BASIC TASKS like e-mail are not functioning properly.

2. My second concern: in my Gmail account, I notice that I can endlessly scroll my inbox. Do Gmail accounts sync/download every single item in your inbox to your iPhone? If so, that's a bit of a problem as I have more than 3,000 e-mails in my Gmail account. I looked for a way to set sync days to be...say...a week or so, but I could not find this. I'm hoping that my entire inbox isn't being downloaded to my 16GB phone.

Any help would be much appreciated!!! Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,
    Eric

2. eric3312 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Can't tell you about the Gmail account, but I can tell you that the Exchange server at my workplace occasionally fails to push out to iPhones. I know our IT people receive a lot of complaints about phones that suddenly stop receiving new emails and their solution is to reboot certain email servers when it occurs to too many people.

Not an appropriate response from them, I know, but until they upgrade to the next version of Exchange server, it'll have to do.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I would bet on the Exchange Server being the culprit. I know one person at a major corporation who has "reset", at the request of the IT Department, an iPhone a few times to get disappearing calendars back.

5. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Last week either Thursday or Friday, neither of my mail accounts synced for about 18 hours on my iPhone. I couldn't even force them to refresh. One is iCloud, the other gmail. The issue fixed itself and I have no idea what was wrong, but it was pretty weird.

6. eric3312 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the response. Anything change on your phone you can think of? Did you adjust settings?

7. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Only thing that changed was the notification settings for mail. Somehow banners were turned off and Mail wasn't showing in the lockscreen. I didn't do this change and it was frustrating until I changed it back.

Beyond that, there was nothing I adjusted.