Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ashok.Vardhan

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Visakhapatnam, India
You have to disable SIP, as is is useless to investigate.
I have run into a roadblock here.

Since I have no direct display from the GPU when booted into Mojave (I am using screen sharing) I use Single User mode in Recovery to disable SIP:

I Reboot holding down Cmd R S

Then hit ENTER a few times to get to the command prompt.

I enter: csrutil disable; reboot and press Enter

The system restarts, however, every time it resets SIP back to enabled once booted into Mojave in normal mode.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have run into a roadblock here.

Since I have no direct display from the GPU when booted into Mojave (I am using screen sharing) I use Single User mode in Recovery to disable SIP:

I Reboot holding down Cmd R S

Then hit ENTER a few times to get to the command prompt.

I enter: csrutil disable; reboot and press Enter

The system restarts, however, every time it resets SIP back to enabled once booted into Mojave in normal mode.
You can boot Recovery and disable SIP with your HD 5770, but remove it before running DarwinDumper.

Ashok.Vardhan

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Visakhapatnam, India
You can boot Recovery and disable SIP with your HD 5770, but remove it before running DarwinDumper.

Tried that with the HD 5770 installed in slot-2 and monitor connected to it. No display when I try to boot into recovery.

Will try couple more times and see. I am wondering if even recovery partition OS in Mojave needs a metal compatible card physically installed to display even its basic screen?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Tried that with the HD 5770 installed in slot-2 and monitor connected to it. No display when I try to boot into recovery.

Will try couple more times and see. I am wondering if even recovery partition OS in Mojave needs a metal compatible card physically installed to display even it's basic screen?
I can boot Mojave Recovery with my HD 5870.

Anyway, you can use any Recovery/macOS installer after Yosemite to disable SIP. You can use a High Sierra createinstallmedia USB installer to disable SIP, for example.

Ashok.Vardhan

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Visakhapatnam, India
I can boot Mojave Recovery with my HD 5870.
I am wondering if why I am not able to get display with HD 5770 is also a symptom of why the WX9100 is not showing up on my system even in Mojave Recovery OS?

Anyway, you can use any Recovery/macOS installer after Yosemite to disable SIP. You can use a High Sierra createinstallmedia USB installer to disable SIP, for example.

This is something I just learned. Good to know. So I used a High Sierra install, booted into recovery. Disbled SIP. Shutdown. Removed all PCI-e cards except WX9100, removed the SSD with the High Sierra install and inserted another SSD with just a bare clean Mojave install.

Booted fine. Screen Sharing was enabled so I was able to remotely view and operate the MacPro.

SIP was disabled this time. Darwin Dump results:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I am wondering if why I am not able to get display with HD 5770 is also a symptom of why the WX9100 is not showing up on my system even in Mojave Recovery OS?

This is something I just learned. Good to know. So I used a High Sierra install, booted into recovery. Disbled SIP. Shutdown. Removed all PCI-e cards except WX9100, removed the SSD with the High Sierra install and inserted another SSD with just a bare clean Mojave install.

Booted fine. Screen Sharing was enabled so I was able to remotely view and operate the MacPro.

SIP was disabled this time. Darwin Dump results:
I can see that the slot-1 is in use, the PciRoot and other data, but nothing about the GPU itself shows anywhere.

Try installing the Apple HD 5770 alone and do another DarwinDumper - same Mojave install, same MP51.fd - let see if we can get more info with gfxutil device properties.

Reactions: Ashok.Vardhan

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Darwin Dump for MacPro5,1_Apple_X64_Mojave_18G9323_ashok.vardhan with Apple Radeon HD5770 in slot-1 alone:
Weird, HD 5770 is recognized, with correct link width and speed.

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 00.42.52.png

Video is working?

Ashok.Vardhan

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Visakhapatnam, India
Weird, HD 5770 is recognized, with correct link width and speed.

View attachment 2016440

Video is working?
No video when booted into normal mode (since this card is not Metal compatible I guess) it only shows up recognized in System Report.

Similarly, no video even when I try to boot into Recovery mode with the Radeon HD 5770 card installed.

It surely is a very baffling situation. Even I am at a loss.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
No video when booted into normal mode (since this card is not Metal compatible I guess) it only shows up recognized in System Report.

Similarly, no video even when I try to boot into Recovery mode with the Radeon HD 5770 card installed.

It surely is a very baffling situation. Even I am at a loss.
Video should work, via EFI drivers/completely unaccelerated. What display you are using? Maybe your display is DP2.0 or something that is not supported/incompatible with the EFI drivers? Maybe it's something on your backplane…

Anyway, right now I'm too tired to think anything more.

Ashok.Vardhan

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Visakhapatnam, India
I did think about booting into Windows in bootcamp, however, because I do not have a legacy DVI-D monitor I am not able to install Windows either.

The monitor I am using just does not display bootmanager even with a GPU with a Mac BIOS like ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB.

I read somewhere that modern high resolution displays do have this limitation in legacy GPUs like the ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB:

View attachment 2013298 View attachment 2013300
I completely forgot, yes, your analysis is correct, I had even griped about this limitation earlier in the same thread.

Totally slipped my mind because I was so focussed on other details. It is the display, not the backplane in this instance, in regards to the HD 5770, it does not show boot-manager screen even when it is the only card installed.

Video should work, via EFI drivers/completely unaccelerated. What display you are using? Maybe your display is DP2.0 or something that is not supported/incompatible with the EFI drivers?

In High Sierra the monitor does not actively display image from the HD 5770 until system is booted into OS and the proper graphics kexts are loaded.

In Mojave, it just does not show any display at all, even when booted into normal mode.

Have a good rest. Thanks for staying up so far. We can tackle it another time.

Last edited:

Ashok.Vardhan

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Visakhapatnam, India
Each time I put in the WX9100 alone, after removing the HD 5770, the system resets SIP. I wonder why this happens, and if this is any indication on why the WX9100 is not getting detected on this board?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.