PLEASE HELP Water Damage problems iPod touch 4G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Nooblett, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Nooblett, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

Nooblett macrumors newbie

EDIT EDIT EDIT READ FIRST:

Charging works! ^_^
    One problem though: Sound is acting funny. The "charging" sound that plays when you plug your iPod in is grainy, and so is the music. And for some reason, Alerts and Ringers is adjusted by buttons, even though that isn't set. How do I fix that? :/

P.S. I put it back in the bowl of rice.

EDIT EDIT EDIT READ FIRST

Hi,
    So, I just took my 4G iPod touch (I put it in a ziploc bag) to the lake (freshwater) to get some underwater film. After about 20 minutes, I checked the bag to see if there was any water inside. I couldn't see any, but after another 20 minutes, I saw some water inside, and I immmediately took the ipod out and wiped it down my shirt.
    When I got home, I plugged it in, and the error message
    "Charging is not supported with this accessory"
    came up on my iPod. I know it was a stupid move, and I have NO apple stores around where I live for about 400 miles.

The iPod was on for about 15 minutes after I took it out, then I turned it off (turned on automatically when I charged it). Now it's sitting there, off. :/

Also, it syncs fine.

How do I resolve this? :S

2. Nooblett thread starter macrumors newbie

3. P Mentior macrumors regular

If you are plugging it into something that worked fine with it before encounter at the lake then it is most likely water damage. That means that its warranty is now void and you would have to buy a new one.

4. gr8hii macrumors newbie

rice is your friend

try putting it in a bag of rice. Bury it good. Leave it in there for a while (day or so). that *might* fix it... good luck.

5. hulfordp macrumors member

rice!

Something kinda similar happened to my wife's 1st gen iPhone. She dropped it when getting out of our can and it spent the night in the snow. Next day when we found it nothing worked, no charge, would not sync, nothing. Put it in a bag of rice for a day and now it works fine! Has two artifacts on the top of the screen, but it worked! Give the rice a try and let it sit a long time!
    Good luck!

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Getting OUT of the CAN?!? :eek:

Yeah, I think trying to plug it in right away is your second mistake (ziploc is #1 of course)

I agree with others- give the rice several days to work and see what happens.

I don't understand the "sync's fine" comment???

Good luck!

7. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

It syncs fine...

I am assuming he means while it had a charge it did sync with iTunes, but that it was unable to charge while syncing or connected to pc....

I think time will resolve this issue, but the rice thing may speed it along.

I am very curious how those videos turned out! Let us know!

I use my iPad in the bathtub with a ziploc bag all the time, but have not purposely submerged it underwater....

8. Nooblett thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help, I put it in a container of rice, instead of a bag. That'll work, right? O-o
    Anyways, what I meant by "syncs fine" is that when I plug it in, it can sync music, apps, videos, all that good stuff. It just doesn't charge.

I'll let you know the condition in a couple days.

9. Nooblett thread starter macrumors newbie

Charging works! ^_^
    One problem though: Sound is acting funny. The "charging" sound that plays when you plug your iPod in is grainy, and so is the music. And for some reason, Alerts and Ringers is adjusted by buttons, even though that isn't set. How do I fix that? :/

P.S. I put it back in the bowl of rice.

10. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I had success using a hairdryer and time (about 4 days) on 2 iPods over the years. Using the hairdryer you want to give it some heat to help with the evaporation process... you don't want to torch you iPod. After that I'd just let them sit unused for 3 - 4 days. Resist the urge to plug it in or turn it on to see if it works before then. Give it enough time for the water to evaporate.

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I personally would have given it several more days in the rice bag before trying to power it up again or use it. It sounds (no joke intended) like the speaker might be zapped a little- hopefully drying it out fully will clear things up.
    By the way- AWESOME job of editing your thread in the first post- I have never thought of that but I am sure it will prevent too many unnecessary posts. Great idea!!!

12. tweaks macrumors regular

Boo boo on your part. Go in to Apple Store (or call them) Tell them you want a battery replacement. Pay the 69.00 bucks and your golden. Done.

At least i never had any problem replacing them for customers. :)

13. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I really don't think it is a battery issue- the OP now as a working iPod but the sound is odd and buttons are acting funny. Does not seem like a new battery will resolve anything here.

14. tweaks, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

tweaks macrumors regular

Blaming the battery is a good way to just get a replacement. Batt issue does not need to be justified at least when I worked there. Cust came in and requested one I would not second guess it....just replaced it.

Are both indicators tripped? (Headset jack; Charging Port)

15. Nooblett thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate your help, but I already said there are no apple stores for 400 miles xD

I'll leave it in the rice for a few more days. I'll take it out wednesday/thursday.

16. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

1: That was a stupid move.
    2: Put it in some rice but leave it there for a week.
    3: Don't do that again.

17. Nooblett thread starter macrumors newbie

I took it out today, no improvement on the speakers.

It's now back in the rice, I'm leaving it there for as long as possible now.

18. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

Last week my wife accidentally threw my 4th gen iPod touch in the washing machine. Yesterday I booked a genius bar appointment and was ready to pay the $99 replacement fee, however the genius came back and told me to forgive your wife and dont worry about the replacement fee. I was like wow :):) "Thank you so much" At the end of the day Apple just wants you to be happy.:)

19. Nooblett thread starter macrumors newbie

Again, I have no apple stores for 400 miles.
    That doesn't really help me. :(
    But nice for you. :p

Anyways, it's still in rice.

20. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

You can skip the rice bag now. It is either dry and works right or it is dry and doesn't work right. Good luck.

21. iloc macrumors newbie

You should think about using this cheap simple case from http://www.ilocstore.com to prevent the problem you had with your ipod. They're even giving away free samples. :)

22. Nooblett thread starter macrumors newbie

Nah, it's dry, and the problem with the speakers is still there.
    I made a mistake, the speakers didn't sound grainy, it was just a poor quality song I was playing. xD
    Anyways, the only problem now is that charging turns on and off, and the system sounds are adjusted by buttons even when it's not set that way.

How would I fix it? Do you think Apple would give me a warranty?