Please help ween me off my PC.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by marshy11, Sep 2, 2011.

1. marshy11 macrumors newbie

Apologies as I appreciate this has probably been asked and answered a zillion times.

I have had my MAC about 6 weeks and love it. I am trying to ween myself off my PC, but at the moment am running it sat next to the MAC. :(

I run a business and use SAGE which isn't available on MAC, so I know that I have to do something Windows based on the MAC.

Could someone kindly help explain what I need to buy.

I don't want Bootcamp - as I want to use MAC and Windows simultaneously. So I know I need to buy Parallels.

It's the next bit I am stumped with.

Can I use my OEM disc from my Mesh PC to install Windows Vista on my MAC or do I need to buy a new OEM or FULL version.

Thank you so much.

2. krawfo macrumors regular

If your OEM disk is a "Restore" type disk (ie an image of your hard drive when you purchased your PC) it will not work. I have a full install copy of Vista that came with my Sony laptop and it would not install on anything other than a Sony.
    Your best bet is to buy a "Full Install" version of Windows to use with Parallels. The new Parallels 7 won't be available for purchase until Sept 6th. There was a very favorable review of it in the Wall Street Journal today. They said you will also be able to purchase and download Windows from them as well.

3. marshy11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.

I am using Snow Leopard at present, so can I use that with Windows 7 or do I need an older version of windows? It's a 8 week old Mac, but I haven't gone to Lion as I was told by Applecare my PC network printer would not be compatible.