Please Help : Weird Battery Life!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Oldskoolstu, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Oldskoolstu, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

Oldskoolstu macrumors newbie

OK so its been at least five days now since Mavericks came out and I downloaded it and upgraded so I know for sure that its not the Spotlight Indexing problem that I know some users have been experiencing in regards to poor battery life.

At present on my Macbook (Mid 2010) I am only getting around 4 hours per charge. I have been watching this ever since I noticed the problem and have noticed quite a few weird things happening.

For example when I ran it down tonight and rebooted after plugging the charger in it stated that a full charge would be 4 hours. It has only been on charge for 40 minutes and it has already recharged to 50% with 2 hours remaining for the rest of the charge but I reckon it will be 100% within the next 30-40 minutes going by what I have noticed so far.

My battery life drops significantly in such a short space of time even when I am doing the most lightest of tasks like general browsing etc. In the last full charge that lasted 3 hours 50 minutes I only did some light browsing on forums and a few searches to try and resolve this as well as about an hours work organising and tidying up my iPhoto.

I have no real obvious culprit(s) in Activity Monitor and the top energy user is WindowServer using at present 10.8 Energy Impact, although I have seen this use around 18. Is this a normal consumption does anybody know or is it this activity using all of my resources? My Desktop is quite tidy by the way with only 3 icons on the screen.

I have already reset the PRAM and done a SMC a few times but to no avail. When I option click on the battery icon my battery condition comes up as Normal so whats going on?

Are there any commands in Terminal I could use or any other options to try and resolve this issue because its getting beyond a joke now!

Any help, info or suggestions would be gratefully received :)

Many thanks in advance ...

2. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I think your battery is just a bit worn down from lots of use. Can you post the amount of charge cycles your battery has on it by opening "about this mac" then "more info" then "system report" then "power"?

3. Oldskoolstu, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

Oldskoolstu thread starter macrumors newbie

594 Cycles (Sorry forgot to add that info) and I also forgot to add that I had no issues under any of the previous OS's - Mountain Lion, Lion, Snow Leopard, etc)

4. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Wait what's your problem? I don't even think I can get 4hrs on my 2010. Usually 2-3 depending on what I'm doing.

Did you have better battery life with ML or what is the issue here?

5. Oldskoolstu thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, see above ... I used to get around 8 hours.

6. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Your battery seems like it is well used, you're already about 60% of the way to your batteries max cycles. Brand new a 2010 mb/mbp only gets 10hrs doing 'lite' wireless work. I'd assume your battery is just dying. What's your Full Charge Capacity (mAh)?

7. Oldskoolstu thread starter macrumors newbie

Full Charge Capacity (mAh) = 4791

8. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I think that it is just a coincidence that your battery started dying when you installed mavericks. Buy this replacement battery:

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Unibody-Model-No-A1342-Mid-2010-Battery/IF160-048

Then use this guide to actually install it:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Unibody+Model+A1342+Battery+Replacement/1667

However, you should wait before doing the above because sometimes apple releases a new OS version that kills batteries, but a 10.9.x update may fix it. Also, people on this forum may have other suggestions. Finally, replacing the battery on your own will void your warranty if you still have it.