PLEASE HELP! What happens when I sell my iPhone 3GS on eBay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mistertomlinson, Jun 6, 2010.

1. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

I've already sold it ($450 on eBay) and it'll be in the buyer's hands tomorrow, but I'm worried. I received a refurbished 16GB iPhone 3GS as a warranty replacement for my previous iPhone that had dust under the screen. I never activated or even put my SIM in it nor did I remove the plastic wrapping around the phone. I advertised the phone as "without contract," but I'm unsure how the buyer must go about activating it. I told him to use iTunes or to take it to AT&T. Will he have to agree to a 2 year contract or can he just put in his SIM and activate? Is he gonna have any problems? thanks for any help you guys can give me.

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

3. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

Actually, it is not your responsibility as the seller to worry about how they will activate it. I have sold 2 iPhones and I just tell them straightforward that it will not have a SIM and you will need one to activate the phone in iTunes. I wouldn't worry about the guy honestly. It's his job cause he bought the phone.

But to answer your question. He needs a SIM card and then just plug it into iTunes. If he doesn't have a iPhone data plan and asks you for help don't give it to him. It's his job.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Worry about what to do with the money instead :)

5. jshort macrumors regular

Question: even if you do a full restore.. should you remove the SIM card before shipping it? I have no plans to use that SIM card.. can a buyer just activate his account on that SIM card or would he have to get a new one / put his existing SIM card anyway?

6. turbineseaplane macrumors 68030

turbineseaplane

Please tell me you ONLY shipped to a CONFIRMED PayPal address using delivery confirmation and requiring a signature?

7. mistertomlinson thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup. Read right at the top in red. It doesn't need a signature, but I did get delivery confirmation.

So... he isn't required to sign a 2 year contract? It'll just activate?

(For anyone interested, I put a Buy It Now price of $450 on it and it sold within 3 hours! There were only 6 page views.)

BTW, thanks everyone for your help. I posted this question at the Apple forums and only one guy replied who clearly didn't know what the hell he was talking about.

8. jshort macrumors regular

I have an auction about to end and the winning bidder has zero feedback.. my quesiton is:

Do I have to send the invoice to the winning bidder? and / or could I request that she pre-pay for the iPhone before I send the invoice? I've had situation like this before with eBay and basically they do nothing to help you if a buyer doesn't pay.. you can't even leave them negative feedback.

Your thoughts?

9. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

never would sell to them. Burnt 3 times before I listed in all my auctions that they needed 5 feedback minimum.

10. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I gave up on eBay, too many scams going on there. I've also been burnt, so no way would I deal with that again. I MIGHT be willing to do it if it was local pickup only. That way you don't hand them the phone till they pay for it and they don't pay for it until they can check it out. Or sell it via Craig's list with the same restrictions.

11. mistertomlinson thread starter macrumors 6502

Cancel and block his bid. I used to do it all the time. Of course, in my auction description, I would always explain they needed more than x feedback. Frankly, as long as his address was PayPal confirmed, you should be safe. I've sold things to people with little feedback before. It's not always an indication they're up to something.

12. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You could require (since the buyer doesn't have any feedback) that s/he pay in advance.