Please help! Why is my iPhone acting like this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Astro8973, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Astro8973 macrumors regular

Astro8973

Okay so I use a first gen iPhone unlocked on T-Mobile. It is running the 2.1 software mainly because it is smooth enough to where I like it and I hate updating because of the whole unlocking business. Anyways, when I plug in my iPhone, it pops up in itunes and says it is syncing but nothing is being synced. Then I try to drag some music into my iPhone and I get the bbod. I then have to unplug the phone and restart the process. It is very annoying and time consuming. What do I need to do? If I do need to update it, is pwnagetool able to update to 2.2.1?

2. nicheco macrumors member

really?

is it really worth all the trouble having your phone jailbroken? seems like everyone is having nothing but trouble with them.

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

If you just update the firmware your iPhone will still be unlocked. You can re-jailbreak if you want but it'll work unlocked if you don't want to jailbreak.

I did this to my girlfriends phone, she is running 2.2.1 unlocked but not jailbroken.

4. Astro8973 thread starter macrumors regular

Astro8973

Yeah I don't want to jailbreak it. I just want it unlocked. I will try just updating. I didn't know I could do that.

5. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yup, the iPhone 1st gen baseband hasn't been updated for a long time. You can keep updating the iPhone firmware, just don't do a restore because then you'll have to re-unlock. By the way, if you update the firmware, it will wipe your jailbreak and you'll keep the unlock so you'll be all set. No jailbreak and perfect unlock.

6. Astro8973 thread starter macrumors regular

Astro8973

Sweet thanks guys! Works like a charm now! Let's hope they don't update the 1st gens baseband for awhile...

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I just did it to mine too... just to check for you. I'm running an un-jailbroken first gen iPhone unlocked.