Please help with a calibration problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chontaduro, Jan 19, 2009.

1. chontaduro macrumors newbie

I've spent (wasted) many hours now and can't get my new MBP (early 2008) ith the LG display calibrated.
    I'm using an EyeDisplay2, used iMatch, basiccolor Display2, LUT, Matrix, you name it - I've done it. The problem I have is with the nasty blue/purple shifts I get using photoshop, lightroom or safari. The funny thing is, if I have e.g. PS open and click through the profiles in ColorSync the colors change in PS and blue is blue but when I click on to PS or the image the hue shift appears again. Sounds confusing? To me too...
    So now I've tried to download some of the profiles available on the internet and some work fine without blue shift and other won't (i1display, spyder2). So it can't be my calibration tools/software I'm using, right?

For example:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=517616 - purple shift
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=5450226&postcount=148 - purple shift
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3880598&postcount=6 - ok blue

So why's that?
    Someone knows why this is happening?

Please check this image, the lady has a blue jacket.
    With the first two profiles the jacket is purple.

http://www.imagespin.com/images/colour_calibration.jpg

I hope someone knows what's going on here and can help to get rid of this purple hue.

Thanks

2. 7even macrumors 6502a

You sure she has a blue jacket? haha I think only the bottom part of it is blue.. I'm on my (admittedly uncalibrated) desktop.

3. chontaduro thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure it's blue

I have opened the image in PS and a new image with filled with blue - R:0 G:0 B:255.
    If I'm using the standard profile or the working profile I've added above, the jacket and the blue image are both blue.
    If I change now the profile to the one of the two above and my own calibrated one, the blue image gets much lighter, less saturated and a purple shift, the jacket goes really purple. Try it, and let me know how a 100% blue image looks next the picture.
    Also check the RGB balls next to the lady with the funky jacket.
    Same thing: Standard profile saturated blue, calibrated profile dull purple color nearly like this icon here:(

4. chontaduro thread starter macrumors newbie

No one can help me on this?

I made a screenshot of how the image looks in PS and in Firefox.
    Left PS and Right Firefox.
    After I viewed the image in Firefox, it looked different again...
    In Safari the image looked like the screenshot I made.
    The color management in Firefox is turned on, the image has an embedded Srgb profile.

The top is the image viewed in Safari (left PS, right Firefox)
    The bottom is the image viewed in Firefox (left PS, rigt Firefox)

Any one knows what's going on here?

Attached Files:

5. MBPDiva macrumors regular

The top left image is rendered correctly. The lady is wearing a two-tone leather/suede jacket. The leather part is purple or grape color, but the suede part is blue. Maybe that's what's throwing you off? I do color corrections for a living. :D

Edit: I take that back. The entire jacket is blue but the leather part is reflecting a purplish hue. Maybe from a color filter over the lighting? I still say the top left image is correct. :D

6. chontaduro thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi MPBDiva, maybe you can help me.
    Yes, the jacket seems to have a purple reflection but in this picture there are also RGB balls and the blue in the top left one is purple. The other three pictures are really dark and kind of dirty.
    Can you tell me why some of my profiles (the calibrated ones with huey or i1display) produce these weird purple hues and other profiles just work fine. I have the problem in PS, LS, CaptureNX and Safari - so all the color managed programs I use - except in Firefox I don't get the purple hue (color management on).
    If you can download and try the three profiles in the first link I posted and check how they act on your MBP, that would be a big help. For me only the last profile works, the others produce the purple hue (on my MBO 15" early 2008 matte - LG).
    thanks

7. MBPDiva macrumors regular

Hi Chontaduro, in the calibrated image in your first post I see a blue ball. The ball does not look purple but the leather in her jacket does have a purple tinge. I think that's from the lighting or some other reflective surface in the image. If the purple hue was caused by the profile there would be a purple hue throughout the photo. The profile I am using in my MacBook Pro is the default profile. It is very accurate as far as colors go so I'm happy with it.