Please help with a theme I installed thru cydia

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by golfergirl13, Feb 25, 2011.

1. golfergirl13 macrumors member

I installed a theme called buuf2 in cydia and it did something to my iphone 3G that I have never seen before. I went back into cydia (after installing the theme) and now when I click on "sections", there is nothing there like SBSettings, themes, addons.....NOTHING....except for "all packages".

I then clicked on "Manage" and when I went into packages, there is nothing there. Everything that I installed should have been in "packages", however, there is nothing there. Its like I never installed anything in cydia. And this all happened when I installed the theme buuf2.

My question is should I reinstall cydia? Or is there something else I can do?

Oh yea, ever since I installed the theme buufs, some of my apps crash and now my iphone is slow.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

2. is300guy macrumors regular

Restore your iPhone 3G, then re-jailbreak. But if you're unlocked, then your out of luck unless you saved your base band via Tiny Umbrella. G/L.

3. Missjenna macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

Before you try the restore route, have you tried rebooting your phone?

4. golfergirl13 thread starter macrumors member

I am still pretty new to jailbreak and tiny umbrella. Therefore, could you tell me how to save the baseband via tiny umbrella. FYI - baseband that I have is 6.15.00

Yes, plenty of times and still same issue.

5. is300guy macrumors regular

Since you are still new to jailbreak, I suggest that you do more research as I am not too familiar with Tiny Umbrella. Use the search feature on this forum or do a google search to research on Tiny Umbrella. If you're using a different carrier besides AT&T (Like T-Mobile) and want to preserve your base band then Tiny Umbrella is your best route. If you're NOT using a different carrier, then Tiny Umbrella may not be useful to you unless you want to save your SSH files. There are tons of YouTube videos on how to use Tiny Umbrella Look them up and educate yourself to understand the world of jailbreaking, much luck to you.

6. golfergirl13 thread starter macrumors member

I understand when people say to do a search for the issue that they are having, but please understand that there are toooooooooo many things out there when doing a search that it gets a bit overwhelming and gives me a headache and then I get confused even more. Sometime, its just nice to have people say "here this is how you fix this issue". Although google is a good tool, but sometimes its always good to learn from someone otherwise, why create threads on the issue people have.

Anyways, thanks for replying to my thread.

7. is300guy macrumors regular

I wish that I was more knowledgeable in the use of Tiny Umbrella but I am not, however, I did a quick search and found these sites that are useful in "How-to's."
    I have to strongly recommend that you be VERY careful when doing this because you may cause more harm than good. These processes are very tedious for non-experienced jailbreakers and if you feel that you are not up for the task, then you should not proceed.
    You haven't stated what firmware you were on (besides the base band) and whether or not you were unlocked (using a different carrier). In addition, it also seems that when you installed the theme into your iP3G, the file itself may have not been compatible, thus corrupting your device to behave the way it did.
    I hope that these websites will help assist you to solving your problem as I do understand that there is a tremendous amount of info out there on the web and I understand your position because I too, was in your position before but taught myself to learn these issues by searching and watching videos on YouTube to help educate myself. Everything now-a-days is "Trial and Error" so you have to take some risks in order to get the job done but if you do not feel comfortable and want to avoid more headaches, then jailbreaking is NOT the way to go UNLESS you take risks, like everyone here does. Good luck to you.

http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unl...ving-shsh-blobs-w-tinyumbrella-jailbreak.html
    http://modmyi.com/forums/general/725672-how-using-tiny-umbrella-update-downgrade-restore.html
    http://www.mongoliatelecom.net/ipho...ilbreakme-com-forever-iphone-4-3gs-3g-2g.html
    http://thetechjournal.com/electroni...ur-shsh-blobs-with-tinyumbrella-windows.xhtml

8. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

do you use SSH? if so...just go into the themes folder and delete the buuf2 theme.

9. crushedcore macrumors newbie

did you add any repo?

if you know how to ssh
    just update cydia

10. Tokes Green macrumors regular

Tokes Green

Do this, pretty much works with any Cydia issue such as the one that you are having 99% of the time for me.

SSH the .deb file to the following directory :

var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall

If the Cydia and AutoInstall directories are not there - create them (case sensitive).

Reboot, and it should work fine.

If you are unsure about using SSH there are plenty of tutorials on these forums.

Attached Files:

11. Synergie macrumors 6502a

I had this happen before with Limera1n when I JB on 4.1 - At first, Cydia was devoid of any content it seemed. It was like the repos were missing...

All I did to fix it was re-run the JB so that it reinstalled Cydia. Did a hard reboot and then everything was fine. The first time though, it did take a few minutes for the repos to be added back. So don't get frustrated when they aren't there right away. It takes a few mins the first time.

So just try to re-run your JB before you restore. I didn't need to restore or anything. It was Cydia itself that messed up... not anything else. If you think it was downloading Buuf that caused it, then use iphone explorer and go to var/mobile/stash/themes/ folder and delete the buuf theme before you do the above.

12. Tokes Green macrumors regular

Tokes Green

No need to re-jailbreak, it will work, but only because Cydia will be reinstalled.

Just do what I said and you should be fine.

13. golfergirl13 thread starter macrumors member

I am on firmware 4.0.1 and yes I am unlocked. My carrrier is AT&T.

I do want to take risks on jailbreaking....that's how I learn. However, not only do I learn by google, but from people that have experienced the same issue as I am now having. By the way, Thank You for the websites.

I did save the SHSH in tiny umbrella, however, I could not find the buuf2 theme to delete it.

I do not know how to ssh? Can you please explain?

Can you please tell me how to SSH the .deb file to the following directory? Do I use tiny umbrella. I will say this. I know my way around computers. I am just NOT up to speed on the iphone language.

How do I create the cydia and autoinstall directories?

14. golfergirl13 thread starter macrumors member

I am not able to install ssh thru cydia. When I go into search to download it, it just comes up with a blank page. Therefore, it tells me to go into changes and refresh however when I do this, the page is blank after it gets done refreshing.

How can I re-jailbreak my iphone without having to restore?

15. golfergirl13 thread starter macrumors member

Nevermind. I just re-jailbroke my iphone and now I have cydia functioning again.