Please help with a Windows XP wireless question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Moof1904, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I know this is a Mac forum, but...

A friend brought me her noname Win XP SP2 laptop because she couldn't the wireless to work. According to the sticker on the laptop, wireless b/g is built-in.

Other than this sticker, though, there seems to be nothing to indicate that this laptop is capable of wireless. I get no mention of wireless in the Control panel's "Create a new connection" Wizard in Network Connections.

There's nothing in the tray about wireless being on or any wireless networks in range or whatever.

Is there something I do in XP to make the computer realize that it has a wireles card in it? Where do I go to make this stupid thing begin using its wireless card?!?!?

I hate Windows...

I especially hate Wizards ("you've just clicked the mouse, would you like to launch the 'click the mouse' wizard?").

2. JCPH macrumors member

The wireless car itself may not be connected properly (i.e. someone may need to dismantle the cpu and put the card in correctly). Or, the wireless card may not have been put in the computer at all during manufacturing (very odd if so).

My final verdict, tell your friend to get a Mac. They work. :D

3. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm hoping the problem doesn't involve cracking up the laptop. That's something I don't want to do. Is there some foolproof way to determine if XP is seeing a wireless card at all?

She has a Mac but some insane reason, she bought this PC laptop for her son. Ugh.