Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKmacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
I know there are already several threads with questions on how to wipe an ibook hard drive but this one is slightly different.

I can't seem to boot my computer from the install disc that came with it. I turn off the computer, hold down c and get a folder with a question mark in it. However when the computer starts I can see the disc folders. I open up disc utility and can wipe the drive but is this really wiping it? I thought I had to boot up from the CD?

I ask as I am selling my machine and don't want to think I have wiped something when I have not. I have also been through the same process (from the disc just running in the drive) to install OSX Tiger. But again how do I know if it has cleared all my old settings?

Do I have faulty discs if I cannot re-boot from them. All I want to do is a clean and install!!!

Please help - and fast - I am supposed to be selling this machine in a couple of days

UKmacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
yes it is a DVD rom. Plays the DVD and I can run disc utility from that but is that the way to do it? I thought I had to boot up from the DVD by holding down c?

UKmacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
just tried doing it with option key. I ket a screen with 3 things. On the left a refresh symbol, middle the mac osx hard drive and on the right a right arrow. The only thing I can click is the right arrow which then starts up the machine!

Help!!!!

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Do you have another Mac and a Firewire cable?

Does the DVD drive actually work in the ibook? Or have you tried cleaning the Tiger disc? Holding down the option key, you should see your internal hard drive and the Tiger DVD if it can read it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.