Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

shilohh

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2015
Apparently SRX creates a display override that applies your setting. This override must be loaded every time the display is used and monitor's device ID is detected.

Pasted from their FAQ:

"If you can't see the Finder or can't start SwitchResX Preferences itself, you'll have to delete the monitor profile file.
This file is located in /System/Library/Displays/Overrides/ and is the last modified file, that you can find if you sort by date. You should remove this file, if you can access the file system, either by
1) accessing the file system from an other Mac on the network, via Remote Desktop, from ssh or by mounting a shared folder.
2) OR starting up in single user mode
3) OR via Target Disk mode if you have an other Mac
4) OR at last resort: reinstalling the OS above the existing install, which will keep your existing settings, but remove the system modified files."

Comment

TheEasyWay

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2015
Denmark
I did a brief search but couldn't come up with any answers for my problem. I installed switchresx earlier today and set a custom resolution of 1680x1050 for my monitor at home. Well dumb me accidently selected that resolution a few minutes ago and now my screen is black. I know everything still works but I don't have a clue how to get it back. I am clueless when it comes to macs or computers for that matter. Any help greaty be appriciated.

Solved!!!!

Restart in safemode:

Shut Down your Mac, and wait 10 seconds, then hold Down the power Button and shift

Go into Switchresx
Go into switchresx. Go into your Screen, under Default or startup resolution, and Pick your Default
resolution and Hertz

Restart your computer
Go under the Apple logo in the top Left Corner, and Press Restart

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.