Please help with can't make my mind up late 2012 iMac / Mac mini 2014

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mustu, Nov 11, 2014.

1. mustu macrumors 6502

I purchased a a 27" 5K iMac for my work and now have a 21" late 2012 iMac that can be used at my home. However I also thought of selling it to the Mac reseller add about £250 abd getting a fusion 1Tb Mac mini to connect it with my Samsung 55" curved UHD.
    Keep in mind I also have a early 2011 MacBook pro at home.

What do you suggest keep the 21" late 2012 iMac or sell it and get the new fusion drive Mac mini.

I am not going to do major processing work on it. Will be used for browsing, mails , photos and editing photos , and a media hub.

I have apple TVs in the house as well.

Please give your inputs

Thanks .

2. Gav Mack, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Having connected computers up to those curved samsungs I would check to see if you would get on with it first. I personally hated the curve, I could clearly notice it and it got worse the further you moved away from the central sweet spot. They looked ok with windows media centre or plex/xbmc but for editing photos that would drive me totally insane. Like images needing a lot of lens distortion correction but much worse!

Flat displays are for photo editors full stop!

3. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

Keeping the iMac is a better choice than a mini hooked up to the TV from a strict usability perspective. Unless you are committed to using it while reclined on the couch, or just don't have anywhere to put it, stick with it and save the money.