Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
So, I am a short step away from a great car experience with my iPhone. I just bought a bluetooth car speakerphone which is amazingly loud and clear, definitely worth the buy. I also bough a iPhone mount which holds my iPhone just over the air vent. The final step now is getting music from my iPhone to the car, easy enough right? WRONG!

I have a JVC head unit that was installed in my 2003 Cavalier that had an AUX port on the front for easy iPod connection. I went to Best Buy to get it installed into my 2006 Chevrolet Equinox, and the guy said that since I had the antenna and the wiring harness still, all I'd have to buy is a new spacer. At this point, I was thinking that this is going to be awesome! Well, it turns out that the old wiring harness would not work in my new car because GM changed something about the way radios are powered up. OK, I asked him how much the wiring harness would be...it turns out that it is a special order and costs $175!! WAY too expensive, considering that is a little more than what the head unit cost!

The Best Buy gut then tried some other solutions but couldn't find a cheap way to do it because of the radio.

I do not have XM or OnStar or anything else special, can anyone help me?

autumnsong

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007
Western North Carolina
I just recently (within the last 2 weeks) went to Circuit City and bought a Sony stereo and had it installed. It even has the "made for ipod" sticker on it. I found the service there much better than at Best Buy. The stereo I bought was $129 I think, and included the cable connector that works perfectly with my iPhone. They installed it for free. It does not work with bluetooth, but I saw that they had one that did for about $30 more, I think. Mine even charges my phone while it's playing. It sounds fantastic, and I never turn airplane mode on. Hope this helps!

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
I just recently (within the last 2 weeks) went to Circuit City and bought a Sony stereo and had it installed. It even has the "made for ipod" sticker on it. I found the service there much better than at Best Buy. The stereo I bought was $129 I think, and included the cable connector that works perfectly with my iPhone. They installed it for free. It does not work with bluetooth, but I saw that they had one that did for about $30 more, I think. Mine even charges my phone while it's playing. It sounds fantastic, and I never turn airplane mode on. Hope this helps!

I actually bought this JVS head unit from Circuit City and they installed it originally. I went back there but they gave me the same response saying that I need a special order wire harness :(

At this point, I'd settle for a compatible iPod interface that will connect to the factory radio, since it seems WAY too expensive putting in a special radio.

Thanks though, maybe I'll go back to Circuit City and see if there are any other solutions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.