Please help with creating a 20-question survey.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by macaddict23, Jan 6, 2009.

1. macaddict23 macrumors 6502

macaddict23

When the user clicks on the "Submit" button, I would like both the questions and answers e-mailed to me. For example, can I insert an entire sentence in the "name" area?

<form action="FormToEmail.php" method="post">
    <ol>
    <li>Do you take any medications for a heart condition?<br> Yes<input type="radio" name="Do you take any medications for a heart condition?" value="yes">/ No<input type="radio" name="Do you take any medications for a heart condition?" value="no">
    </li>
    </ol>
    </form>

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

This is pretty simple to accomplish in PHP. There are quite a few ready made scripts freely available if you do a bit of Googling. I'd pound one out for you real quick, but I've been coding all day already so I don't wanna. :D

I don't recommend using spaces in the name attributes though. Use underscores and do an ereg_replace() in the PHP script to change them to spaces for the email output.

3. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

mycontactform.com is a great free resource if you're looking for an easy solution.

4. macaddict23 thread starter macrumors 6502

macaddict23

I have no PHP experience. I'm usng FormToEMail.com's free php script.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

A number of the PHP solutions don't require you to program any PHP yourself. You just setup some settings.

6. macaddict23 thread starter macrumors 6502

macaddict23

I have the survey built. The php file does what it’s supposed to do. Everything works, but I just the questions in the e-mail output not to have underscores after each word. Attached is the php code from FormToEmail.com. Where do I place “ereg_replace()”?

PHP:
    <?php

$my_email 
    "myemailaddress@yahoo.com";

$continue "/";

$errors = array();

// Remove $_COOKIE elements from $_REQUEST.

if(count($_COOKIE)){foreach(array_keys($_COOKIE) as $value){unset($_REQUEST[$value]);}}

// Validate email field.

if(isset($_REQUEST['email']) && !empty($_REQUEST['email']))
    {

$_REQUEST['email'] = trim($_REQUEST['email']);

if(
    substr_count($_REQUEST['email'],"@") != || stristr($_REQUEST['email']," ")){$errors[] = "Email address is invalid";}else{$exploded_email explode("@",$_REQUEST['email']);if(empty($exploded_email[0]) || strlen($exploded_email[0]) > 64 || empty($exploded_email[1])){$errors[] = "Email address is invalid";}else{if(substr_count($exploded_email[1],".") == 0){$errors[] = "Email address is invalid";}else{$exploded_domain explode(".",$exploded_email[1]);if(in_array("",$exploded_domain)){$errors[] = "Email address is invalid";}else{foreach($exploded_domain as $value){if(strlen($value) > 63 || !preg_match('/^[a-z0-9-]+$/i',$value)){$errors[] = "Email address is invalid"; break;}}}}}}

}

// Check referrer is from same site.

if(!(isset($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']) && !empty($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']) && stristr($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'],$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']))){$errors[] = "You must enable referrer logging to use the form";}

// Check for a blank form.

function recursive_array_check_blank($element_value)
    {

global 
    $set;

if(!
    is_array($element_value)){if(!empty($element_value)){$set 1;}}
    else
    {

foreach(
    $element_value as $value){if($set){break;} recursive_array_check_blank($value);}

}

}

recursive_array_check_blank($_REQUEST);

if(!
    $set){$errors[] = "You cannot send a blank form";}

unset(
    $set);

// Display any errors and exit if errors exist.

if(count($errors)){foreach($errors as $value){print "$value<br>";} exit;}

if(!
    defined("PHP_EOL")){define("PHP_EOL"strtoupper(substr(PHP_OS,0,3) == "WIN") ? "\r\n" "\n");}

// Build message.

function build_message($request_input){if(!isset($message_output)){$message_output ="";}if(!is_array($request_input)){$message_output $request_input;}else{foreach($request_input as $key => $value){if(!empty($value)){if(!is_numeric($key)){$message_output .= str_replace("_"," ",ucfirst($key)).": ".build_message($value).PHP_EOL.PHP_EOL;}else{$message_output .= build_message($value).", ";}}}}return rtrim($message_output,", ");}

$message build_message($_REQUEST);

$message $message PHP_EOL.PHP_EOL."-- ".PHP_EOL."Thank you for using FormToEmail from http://FormToEmail.com";

$message stripslashes($message);

$subject "FormToEmail Comments";

$subject stripslashes($subject);

$from_name "";

if(isset(
    $_REQUEST['name']) && !empty($_REQUEST['name'])){$from_name stripslashes($_REQUEST['name']);}

$headers "From: {$from_name} <{$_REQUEST['email']}>";

mail($my_email,$subject,$message,$headers);

?>

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html>

<head>
    <title>Form To Email PHP script from FormToEmail.com</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    </head>

<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">

<div>
    <center>
    <b>Thank you <?php if(isset($_REQUEST['name'])){print stripslashes($_REQUEST['name']);} ?></b>
    <br>Your message has been sent
    <p><a href="<?php print $continue?>">Click here to continue</a></p>
    <p><b>FormToEmail</b> by <a href="http://FormToEmail.com">FormToEmail.com</a></p>
    </center>
    </div>

</body>
    </html>

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

First, you should use the PHP button when posting PHP code so it looks nicer in posts (see below for example). I suggest going back and editing the post. In the toolbar there's a PHP button (you may need to go to the advanced edit mode to see it).

I took a look at the build_message function and I believe that's where the change needs to be made. Below is the function rewritten. I only edited one line really, you'll see a comment that says "remove underscores from name attribute" and that's where I made the change. Using ereg_replace isn't necessary here. I'm not 100% about the code since I can't test it.

PHP:
    function build_message($request_input)
    {
      if (!isset(
    $message_output)) {

$message_output ="";
      }
      if (!
    is_array($request_input)) {

// remove underscores from name attribute

$message_output str_replace("_"," ",$request_input);
      }
      else {
        foreach (
    $request_input as $key => $value) {
          if (!empty(
    $value)) {
            if (!
    is_numeric($key)) {

$message_output .= str_replace("_"," ",ucfirst($key)).": ".build_message($value).PHP_EOL.PHP_EOL;
            }
            else {

$message_output .= build_message($value).", ";
            }
          }
        }
      }
      return 
    rtrim($message_output,", ");
    }

8. macaddict23 thread starter macrumors 6502

macaddict23

Thanks, angelwatt. I'll try that. Thanks also on the tip on how to post PHP codes.