Please help with Education Discount for Adobe Creative Suite 3

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kmarketing, Jun 15, 2007.

1. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Hi,

I noticed that if I was to buy an apple using my education discount, I would be able to get Adobe Creative Suite 3 at a nice discount along with the ipod, etc. I was looking to get Creative Suite anyway, so this sounds like a great opportunity.

I'm hoping that you can help with these questions:

1. Which one should I get? I plan to learn some web design over the summer, and have several domains/websites I'd like to develop.

2. If I buy this Suite 3 using the education discount, is it not as good as if I was to buy the "regular" one? Also, would I be okay to use it for the sites that might be commercial?

3. Is the suite pre-loaded on the machine, or do I get the cd's, packaging, etc?

I really don't know much about this, so any help will be great. I'm really excited about this, because I was planning on getting the suite anyway.

Please help!
    Thanks so much!!

2. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

It looks like I narrowed it down to the Adobe Creative Suite 3 WEB Premium package or the Adobe Creative Suite 3 DESIGN Premium package.

They seem to have the same software except:
    The Design package ($349) comes with InDesign CS3 and
    The Web package ($299) comes with Fireworks CS3 and Contribute CS3

Which do you think is best?
    Thanks so much for your help!

3. Igantius macrumors 65816

Okay hands up, I was wrong on this - I admit it!!! Sorry, kmarketing!

The Macromedia policy used to be a lot more stringent.

4. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

I definitely don't want to break any rules, and at first my intention was to buy the full retail version, but this does sound like a good deal.

I won't be getting paid for any work for designing my sites, but hopefully the sites that I develop will make some money. Is that allowed with these suites?

Thanks!

5. munckee macrumors 65816

I've read differing info on this :confused:

1. I have read that if you purchase as a student, you're allowed to use it for commercial work afterwards (you just won't be eligible for the next edition at a student rate).

2. I've read, also, that the edu editions can be upgraded just fine (and can, in fact, be upgraded with a commercial upgrade disc).

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

The education version just means you're a valid student or professor, and therefore you get a discount on the pricing, but sometimes you don't get all the options included that would come in the "professional bundle". They do this because universities buy in bulk, and expect students to have the same software. They cut deals so the students can actually afford to buy it as well so that everyone is running the same software and happy. It has nothing to do with being able to do commercial work on it. There would be law suits flying at every art university in the world if that were the case. They can also be upgraded (know from experience).

7. jshbckr macrumors 6502

What? Much of your post doesn't make sense. The educational version is identical to the full retail version. It wouldn't make sense to get an educational version if you don't have access to learn ALL of the features of the full retail. Also, as far as major creative software companies go (Apple, Adobe), you cannot upgrade the educational version to the newest full version (i.e. No Educational Final Cut Studio upgrade to Final Cut Studio 2). And about commercial work, if you read the End User License Agreement, you are not supposed to produce commercial work with educational software.

8. Igantius macrumors 65816

Taken from the Adobe site (http://www.adobe.com/education/purchasing/faq.html):

But it also says on http://www.adobe.com/products/upgrade/ (as I say, Macromedia were more stringent):

and on http://www.adobe.com/products/eula/tools/ (Dreamweaver EULA) via http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/index.html

9. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, I'm totally confused...

I just want to get the software to learn on and develop some websites that I own domain names for. I do see the sites earning some money in the future, but as a faculty member in a school, I don't plan on being a paid designer for other sites/companies. I hope that clarifies my needs.

Do you think I'll be okay with this version of the software? Also, are these prices good, or do you have better recommendations for legit software?

Thanks so much!

10. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I never said that was the case for Adobe (that the educational wasn't the same as the full version), you just thought I did. It is the case for lots of Microsoft software however. And YES you can upgrade because I've done it. Maybe you just aren't talking to the right people when you try. I didn't talk to anyone actually I just bought the upgrade and it all worked fine. And I stick by the fact that 100% of Art Schools use their educational software to produce commercial work. No one would be able to graduate otherwise, and no school would ever print anything out whatsoever if this wasn't true. And why don't you read the EULA and highlight the part that says you can't sell what you produce making their software.

11. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Since the 2 suites have the same programs except:
    The Design package ($349) comes with InDesign CS3 and
    The Web package ($299) comes with Fireworks CS3 and Contribute CS3

Which do you think is more important to have? I also see that I have the option of getting some them separately if needed, but I'm just unsure as to what to get.

I'd like to get them asap, so I have the summer to learn and work on them.

Please let me know,
    Thanks!

12. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

You need to read what each application does... that will help you decide which will suit you best.

13. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

I actualy did read up on the software, and it looks like indesign is more for hard copy/print stuff, and fireworks for web.

I figure I would like to be able to get as much print and web software as I can, but do I specifically need indesign for print or fireworks for web? Would there be a better or cheaper alternative to either of them? Is there one of them that you would say is a "must have" (and then the other not as significant) if I want to do both print and web?

Thanks!

14. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

If you want to get into more flash/animation orientated web design, buy the web package. If you just want to get more into design, buy the other package.
    I would say Indesign is a more crucial program to have than fireworks.

15. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Buy The CS3 Design Bundle @ $349

Yes. you MUST have InDesign for Print. You don't NEED Fireworks for Web. You only NEED Dreamweaver for Web.

The Design package ($349) comes with InDesign CS3 is the one you NEED.

16. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, that's what I was looking for!! So Design is the package I will be getting.

Should I spend the extra money for fireworks? How about contribute? Or do you think that they are not necessary?

Thanks so much for your advice, I can't wait to get started!!

17. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Wait 'Til You Find A Reason To Buy Fireworks Or Contribute

I would wait and ask fellow students and instructors if they can tell you why you need them. I don't think you should buy them unless you reach a point where you discover you need them for something specific. Overall they are not necessary for you to be successful.

18. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

I've been a graphic / web design student for three years now, and I've nver used fireworks, photoshop seemed to do the job. And as for contribute, I've never had any experience with it, but it seems like it just helps update files to webpages? I don't think its necessary, dreamweaver will fulfill your web needs.

19. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much for everyone's wonderful insight!!

Now, I can't wait to get this software, but do you think the prices on apple.com (education) are good? Is there anywhere that has better pricing?

If not, I'll be picking up a mac as well to get this pricing!

20. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I would say yes to another store but if you do buy a Mac with it, the price you get Adobe CS 3 Premium can not be beat.

Journeyed has software they sell to education and with Adobe CS 3, it comes with a flash drive and time to time have promo with $10-$20 off. I used them to get my Adobe CS 3 Premium and Maya 8.5 software.

21. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Would you suggest that I wait a little to get the software since I will have to get hardware for it? Do you think there will be further discounts on the current macs or hardware updates during the summer, and I should wait until then.

I'll probably be teaching a class in the summer, researching about what I want to do with the websites, and then really learning html and other programming and design, so I may have some time before I sit down and really use this software.

Or do you think this is the perfect time to get everything?

Thanks!