Please help with education discount purchase!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kmarketing, Jun 24, 2007.

1. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Hi,

I think I may be ready to make my purchase with apple this week. I work in a high school, and with school ending this week in nyc, actually on wed. I have a couple of questions. I hope you can help:

1. It says for many purchases, I only get one per academic year. If I buy it before wed, will I fall within the academic year? The reason that I ask is that most colleges/universities have been over since mid may. I may have to check with apple, but was hoping you would have an idea.

2. The truth is I'm very happy with my setups right now. I got huge discounts on my two computers, since they were used, but we're extremely happy with them. So we really have no need for a new computer. As for the ipod, I guess I could use a new one, but I'm fine with my old u2 20gb. We're happy with our old canon 4000 printer. What I really want is the adobe software that I can get a great price for if I buy the computer.

So here's the question: What computer would be the best to get, that I would be able to get the most back if I was to sell it? The same goes for which ipod, which would fetch me the most? And then possibly the printer. I understand I may take a loss, but I think compared to what I would have to spend for the software, I think this may be the best route. And I think I cangive a great deal to someone who wouldn't otherwise be able to get a discount.

Please let me know your opinions. If this is not permitted with apple, I'd like to know that also, and I'll have to figure something else, but I always appreciate the advice here.

Thanks!

2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

umm... you'll get the best resale value on a MacPro, as for iPods- we're probably gonna see an iPod update soonish to the touchscreen.

3. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

1) It is calandar year. It is pretty loose though, they probably are not going to notice if you break the rule. It is there so people dont go crazy buying computers.

2) I dont understand the question here.

3) Which computer has the highest resale value? You mean in the box? They all have about the same % of loss. After use though... the iMac and Mac Pro are going to retain the most value. A 30 gig iPod is your best bet for resale. Everyone is getting the nano's right now for free. You are gonna have a hard time selling the $99 printer they give with the computer.

Hope this helps.

4. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Thanks for the responses!

I am thinking about making the purchase primarily to get the software. So I would be essentially buying the computer, ipod, and printer (maybe not if it would be too hard to sell), and then trying to sell them immediately. So I would be listing everything as new without upc symbols, etc.

I was just hoping for advice on what to get that would be the easiest sellers. I was thinking mac pros would be the toughest because of their cost and size. But if the consensus is that I would have the easiest time selling a mac pro, then that's probably what I would get. And then which ipod would be easiest to sell, etc?

Thanks!

5. mccldwll macrumors 65816

It's one lappy and one desktop per academic year. If essentially still employed by system, no problem. Even if not, still shouldn't be a problem. Since imac probably will be updated soon, it will take a hit. Lowest macbook might be best for least $ loss.

6. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

^^
    If that's the case, i would say macbook and ipod nano are the easiest to sell because they're consumer products and more in demand. More people are looking to buy the ipod nano and mb than anything else. iMac and shuffle are also a good bet, bt the weight of the iMac might make it less appealing than the mb if you're on ebay. As for the printer, buy one anyway because it's free w/ the rebate. Anything you can get for it would be your gain.

7. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

That's what I was thinking also.

So macbook + $199 nano (any suggestions here?) + printer (which printer to get rebate) + Adobe creative suite.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Don't get the $199 Nano. A lot of those will be around once the sale is done. Instead, get the base regular iPod, which will have a better resale value once the summer sale is over.

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

The adobe edu discounts are pretty big, do you really need to go through that extra hassle to save maybe $100 (iirc...not sure)?
    Actually it may be, given that Apple explicitly states education store sales are not for resale. http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_policies/
    Also by shopping there you had to agree to:
    This might cause some Applecare issues for the person who buys the computer, as YOU are the one who bought it saying it was for personal/edu/research use, and then sold it off without even using it.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

You bring up a good point which I had not considered before. Apple might not allow EDU computers to have additional Applecare if they are sold before a certain point. It's worth looking into.

11. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll definitely have to look into that also. I may just have to get a computer to keep then and sell one of my older ones, which I think would be pretty wasteful. Or I may be able to find some family or friend that could use the machine, and then I could always be the middle man for warranty.

But in terms of savings, the edu pricing on cs3 without a mac is $599 and with a mac is $349. So that is pretty substantial, and then factor in the rebate on the ipod and the printer, the hassle would be definitely worthwhile to save a big chunk of change.

If you have any better ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

Hmm, I wasn't sure which version of cs3 you were getting, so I was just guessing. That is a substantial discount.

You might want to call Apple up to ask about reselling the mac (at a later period, of course! :D ). Because it's not for resale, it would mean you can't transfer AppleCare to anyone who purchases it. I don't quite remember what Apple does in the event someone who purchased from the education store resells it, I assume after a certain amount of time you can transfer it to someone else, but...

13. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

I definitely know its possible to sell it (I bought one from someone who used and education discount), but like you said, the time frame may be in question. I'll see if apple will answer that, but they'll probably be suspicious.

But I just want to get that software, and without obtaining it illegally, so I was hoping this was a good way.

Thanks for all the insight too. Keep 'em coming!