Please help with graphics card upgrade!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Nov 4, 2013.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Hello all,

I found this ad on CraigsList:

ATI Radeon

in my area and was hoping that this card was compatible with my current PowerMac G4: 2001 QuickSilver 733MHz, 1.256 GB RAM, and running Tiger at the moment(but runs Leopard very well).

If it's not compatible with that one, I am considering picking up a dual 1.25 MDD(2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, and running OS X 10.5.8).

The seller says that it is AGP, and since my PM had an AGP slot for graphics cards, I assumed it would work but don't want to buy on an assumption.

Thanks for any help!!!

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

It might be usable, but you would have to flash the ROM over to a Mac version. It is not a plug and play.

3. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

The seller doesn't explicitly state that it has a Mac ROM.

I wonder what he meant that it didn't fit? Looks like regular AGP to me. Or maybe he was talking about the lack of ADC? Or maybe he has a PCI G4? Whatever the case, he really seems to have no idea what he is talking about.

Unless it has already been flashed and you're allowed to verify that it works, I think you'd be better off purchasing on eBay from someone with a return policy and a good reputation.

4. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Thank you both very much for responding so quickly. I think I am going to pass on it which makes my decision not to buy the MDD for sale in my area a good decision as well.

5. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Heh. You gotta love how he is being all whiny that he cannot return the card because the guy he got it from is in prison. Then, very next paragraph, he makes it clear that he will impose those same restrictions on whoever buys the card from him. No refunds!