Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dawg88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Recently I loaned my ibook to a friend and when I got it back the battery was completely drained. When I plugged it in and started it up, a message appeared saying that the date was set to 1969 and it would cause some programs to mess up. I became concerned because I know my friend likes to tinker and although I trust him, I cant rule out the possibility. I attempted to look at the hardware profile for my computer to see if he changed anything and it came up blank. Can someone please tell me how to check this and make sure he didnt take anything out or switch anything with his computer?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I don't think you can check for that now... however, the cause of the date resetting to 1969 is a dead or missing PRAM battery. These things do sometimes die on older Macs, and they're quite cheap to replace - usually, one costs around US$5-10.

Dawg88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2007
I have read about this PRAM memory, and I have read that in ibooks it is actually the main battery that controls this, so if the main battery was drained the date would reset? Also, I used to be able to look at my hardware specs untill yesterday and now everything is blank...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I have read about this PRAM memory, and I have read that in ibooks it is actually the main battery that controls this, so if the main battery was drained the date would reset? Also, I used to be able to look at my hardware specs untill yesterday and now everything is blank...
Hmm... dunno why that would be the case, but I'd wait until your battery recharges, restart your Mac one more time, and see if it returns to normal.

TommyLee

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2004
New Orleans

I'd like to know the answer to that too.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Sometimes people are lazy and didn't charge it. -> loss of poer for prolong period of time -> reset of clock.

I would:
Set the clock to correct date.
Repair Permissions.
Verifiy Disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.