Please help with iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Peter Franks, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

Does this mean if I proceed, it will wipe the WHOLE phone's apps/contacts or just the iTunes info. I'd not even used iTunes on the PC it was plugged into just to get the phone up and running. More great info from Apple that said if I only use it to get the phone working it won't register on that computer and can use it when I get my MBP, well I now have the MBP and on first sync it deleted just about everything, and I thought that problem was over, but I now have this again with iTunes, so before I sync up the music, can someone please tell me if I'm going to regret it, AGAIN!

Thanks

2. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Also......The message that I get up when it tells me to upgrade software to 4.3, it says you have paid apps that you need to back up before the update, and I synced and synced and backed up and it still comes up with that message. Any ideas? Or just don't bother updating.

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

4. danielrmitchell macrumors newbie

Just to be clear - Is this the second time you have attempted to sync with iTunes on your MBP after first syncing with a PC?

If so, using the erase & sync method *should* simply sync your iPhone again as it was the first time you synced with the MBP.

If you are attempting to sync with both PC and MBP at different times, for example 1st with the PC, 2nd with MBP, 3rd with PC, 4th with MBP - then you will get this message each time you change computers.

Generally a good rule of thumb is 1 iPhone per iTunes account.

Hope this helps?

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey Daniel

No, I've never synced with another computer, but had to plug once into iTunes just to start the iPhone on a PC, but didn't sync anything on it because it was just turning the phone on for the first time. You have no choice with the iP4.

The first proper back up sync was with the MBP for apps and contacts, but it deleted on first sync, but now I want to put music on it, and as it deleted all the last time I thought now it was authorised it would be sorted, but I got that message up top. Those clueless ones at Apple said starting phone on PC just to get it up and running wouldn't affect when I use the Mac for the first sync. Like most of the info those 'geniuses' gave me, it was wrong

6. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Stunning that nobody else on this forum has ever seen that alert, don't you think? Is it a one off then?
    Incredible than not one person on this forum knows if it means erase whole phone or just iTunes.

7. Peter Franks, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Can't give you any *real* info as I've never experienced it. But I NEVER rely on iTunes to preserve anything that can be saved elsewhere. I use PhoneView on the Mac to back up music, contacts, notes, voice mail, photos, and damn near everything else before I allow iTunes to touch my phone. And if an app has an internal backup function--to Dropbox, MobileMe, a webDAV setup, or their own servers--I use it regularly.

Putting all your eggs into one basket is always a bad idea. Backups should have redundancy, and iTunes does not. PhoneView has been worth 10x what I paid for it.

9. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

It says that because you activated your phone on a DIFFERENT computer.

It will wipe your phone if you sync it with any computer other than the one you have it set up with. Apple does this to stop iPhones from being synced with multiple computers (to stop people from sharing their iTunes libraries are my assumptions).

What data is on your phone at this moment that you can't live without?

LIST EVERYTHING.

I can try and help you keep it, without losing it in a new computer iTunes sync.

10. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Help is here.... Woo Woo... Thank you!

I have not used iTunes on another computer. When I synced first time it wiped Apps in mid play, but kept them on iTunes, and wiped them from phone. I put them back but they were all as new, not in mid state which is what I thought it would do.

Would be nice to have them as they are, I don't know why it took them off the phone but kept them in iTunes, and why if it kept them it wiped all info and made them as if I had just downloaded them as new again when I put them on the phone?

Contacts, obviously, Apps. Photos etc I need, but I did authorise on here, and thought after the first disaster when I plugged in again I'd be OK, but that pop up appeared?

11. ymcshane macrumors newbie

Same Message On My Itunes As Well

I also had the same message and have been following this thread to see if someone can come up with a solution as well :rolleyes: