Please! Help with iWeb and .Mac!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thenewguy, Dec 20, 2007.

1. thenewguy macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I have a question and I'm sort of desperate for an answer.

A friend asked me to make them a website using iWeb. Sounded like fun. So I made the site on my own account. Well that was probably my first mistake, because I realized soon that their .Mac account couldn't work with my iWeb because my iWeb was already "hooked up" to my own .mac trial account. So anyway, I created a new User Account on my computer and took the domain file from the user:library:app support:iWeb folder and put it in the same place on the new account. Everything worked fine. I plugged in my friend's .mac info and am able to publish the site.

But - he has a personal domain which he purchased through Netfirms.com. I went through the process of entering the CName like Apple told me to - but Netfirms also asks for a "sub domain" along with the cname. What is that? What should I put?

Also - and this is the real problem - I tried to take the domain file and move it to my friend's computer. I can't get it to work. I'm doing the same thing that I did with the different account, but for some reason when I use this domain file on a different computer the site shows up but all the pages show up blank. I can't find any way to get it to work. Both iWeb's are the same version.

any thoughts? thanks

2. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

How are you opening the Domain file on your friend's computer? Are you just launching iWeb via the dock or from the Applications folder?

Try double-clicking the ACTUAL Domain file you copied (it doesn't matter where you have it saved) instead.

If it makes you feel better this SHOULD be entirely possible. I often update my iWeb site on my iMac, then copy the Domain file over to my PowerBook so and update it from there later on. That's going from an Intel Mac to a Power PC!