Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
We updated our firmware to 1.2 and kicked off the 9.1 install. When it started, it reported that it had 18 minutes to go. When the progress window reported 4 minutes to go (it stated that it was installing internet access) the system froze up, so we let it sit for an hour and nothing happened, it still showed 4 minutes to go. We tried clicking every button on the screen and nothing responded. We tried doing a shutdown, but none of the dropdown menus responded. Would someone please tell us what are the possible problems and what actions should we take at this point? Before the install we had 3gb free disk space. Thanks in advance, Ron and Diane

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Need a little more info, what kind of Mac is it.
Any other things that you have updated recently (besides the firmware).
I would say just do the install again. If it happens again then it's possibly the install disks (CD-ROM I assume).

If it happens again I'd say start up from the CD's (restart with CD in the drive and hold the c key down until you see the happy mac). And wipe the drive and install. I'd definitely back up whatever files you want before wiping the drive.

avron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Thanks for your reply. The machine is an imac g3 333mhz tray-loading CD powerpc with 256mb ram. Our school just received a donation of 8 of these. There is nothing on the hard drive we need to save. The machines are all at mac os 8.5.1. How do we wipe the drive? So if it happens again, you think we should contact the company that sold us the CD for 9.1 ("Other World Computing") and ask for a replacement CD?
Also, if we boot from the 9.1 CD to do the install, should we worry about disabling extensions, and, if so, how do we do that?
(Never did this before). Thans, Ron and Diane.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Good old iMacs, they'll run 9.1 wonderfully.

When you boot up from the CD, you are running the off the system folder of the CD, so you don't have to worry about turning extensions or any of that stuff off.
If it happens again at the exact same point of installation (freezes again), then maybe talk to the company, but I doubt it will happen again.
You have 8 of these iMacs? Have you tried the disk on any other of the computers?

Wiping Drive:
When you boot up from the CD you will go to the desktop as usual (the wallpaper should be a picture of a CD's so you know you booted on the CD correctly). Anyway, double click the CD to open it and you should find the utilities folder and inside there should be disk utility. Open that, and there will be a list of your drives. Select the hard drive and hit the erase (or inintialize) button, not sure what the button is named exactly. That will wipe the drive in about 5 minutes, and then go about trying the install again.

avron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Have not tried on any of the others because this is the only one we upgraded from 32mb to 256mb so far. We wanted to prove that we could get the first one up to our expectations before we spent any more of the schools money.
I will try it again tonight.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
One last tip on the memory thing. If you want just pull the memory upgrade out and put it into another machine. And then try the install on that machine. I remember those iMacs having pretty accessible RAM slots so I don't think this is too much of an inconvenience. It's worth a shot.

avron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
No offense, but it was hellacious getting the RAM in. First we had no idea where the second ram slot was (you have to pry off the daughter board from the mother board), then the sucky plastic cover took forever to align to get it back on. Then the CD drive would not align back up with the hole in the outer cover. Yuck! BTW, since there is only one usb port left after using one for the keyboard, do you know if the imac will work OK with a usb port expander?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Ah, I guess the memory is not easy to change. Lame.
If you get a USB hub it will work fine with the iMac. I'm assuming that is what you meant by port expander. But only get a USB 1.1 hub, a USB 2.0 would work, but you'll only get transfer rates at USB 1.1 speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.