Please help with Macbook Pro Battery issue... Thanks!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nrogers85, Mar 14, 2012.

1. nrogers85 macrumors newbie

Hello, folks.

This is my first time posting here. I've searched high and low for hours for a workable solution to this problem but have yet to make any headway. Here goes:

I have a 2008 model A1260 Macbook Pro 4,1. Have not had a single issue with it other than basic maintenance. After 4 years my battery was only operating at around 70% capacity (as reported by coconutbattery), as is to be expected with a machine of this age.

I purchased a brand new replacement (non-OEM, but still more expensive than the cheapest of the knock offs) and it arrived today. After putting the battery in the machine, it began to take a charge and charged to full capacity after about an hour.

In hopes of making this battery last a while longer I decided to calibrate it, by letting the battery drain completely, letting the system shut itself down, recharge for a few hours and then reboot.

After rebooting, I now get the dreaded "Not Charging" message on the battery display indicator, and CoconutBattery reads the battery as having -1 mAh capacity and charge. After doing a bit of research, I figured it would be appropriate to reset the SMC, which i did several times in the appropriate order (power down, remove magsafe, remove battery, press power for 5-10 seconds, insert magsafe until light is green, reinsert battery). This proved to be futile and I am still getting the same message.

Just for the hell of it, I reinserted the original battery and it is operating just as it was before. Now, the strangest thing of all is that the indicator lights on the new battery itself show a full charge indicated (all four LEDs).

I am at my wit's end regarding this and am curious as to a potential solution. I believe I have done all of the necessary steps in the correct order to troubleshoot this issue, though I am admittedly not an expert on Mac hardware. This is the first time I have ever replaced a battery on a Mac.

Is it as simple as a dud battery? If so, why would it show a charge initially and then suddenly become unresponsive after draining completely. Furthermore, why is the battery still showing a full charge on the battery itself while CoconutBattery shows -1 capacity?

I thank you in advance for your assistance!

Regards,
    Nick

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

What is your recourse on this battery? Send that thing back! If they will refund you. :)

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You've now found out why most of us here that deal with these machines on a daily basis say don't buy third party batteries.

Apple has proprietary technology on the charge circuit/battery interface that no third party can match. Switch back to your old battery yet to see if the problems go away was a good indicator. Battery lights are reading differently quite possibly because of your SMC reset

Return yours...

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say return the non-apple battery and then buy an actual apple one. Not the cheapest but at least you have peace of mind that it was specifically designed to operate in the MBP by the folks who designed the MBP.

5. nrogers85 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I suppose the old adage i true, "if looks to good to be true..."

Oh well, it was worth a shot I suppose.

I truly appreciate the quick replies. This has quickly become one of my favorite forums.

Warmest regards,
    Nick

6. Eliz macrumors member

battery power way down!

my battery went from 97% to 89% and has been so for 2 days even after a calibration. my macbook pro is 20 months old and 125 cycles according to istat and coconut. does this mean i should buy a new battery??? plz help:(:(:(:(

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

No, it doesn't mean you should buy a new battery. Battery health fluctuates constantly. And you only need to replace your battery when it doesn't hold enough charge to suit your needs anymore. Even if it goes below 80% and you get the "Service Battery" notification, it doesn't mean you have to replace it right away.

If it continues to drop, then I'd get it checked out by Apple, but otherwise you should be fine.

8. Eliz macrumors member

thanks. I guess i won't worry too much about it then. :)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

Also, the built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: