Please help with me picking my iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacWanter, Oct 23, 2012.

1. MacWanter macrumors member

When the iMacs are released, what one should I get? I have been always wanting one for it's nice looks and software, however, don't know which one to get.

If I get the 21.5" it will have lesser graphics and lesser screen space. And obiously lesser cost. But, I like to play games on my computer, not very taxing games, and most can be ran on mac, so I wish to also have higher power and nicer visuals. The 27" looks really nice, powerful, and a beast (Mainly to my 2002 computer that I am currently using). I want to play more modern games, such as Crysis 2 or COD: MW3 at good FPS. But, with those games are windows only, so I need to spend about 180$ more to play those games (For Super Drive and Windows 7) I am willing to do so if needed and your help is appreciated :D .

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

If your looking for a gaming machine don't buy the iMac. Get a windows box instead. Either that or the console route is cheap and of an acceptable quality to me.
    What else will you do on your iMac? People will need to know more before offering advice that's any good. What's right for me won't suit you.

3. MacWanter thread starter macrumors member

My responce

I am not looking so much for a gaming computer, as a computer to play games on, at a reasonable FPS, and not to be extremely fancy. I want to use iMovie as well as have a big screen, camera, and speakers. I wish to use the web often for Youtube or Newgrounds. After seeing the success of my friend (With the Mid-2011 iMac) run ARMA2 on max graphics, I don't see a problem with the gaming performance. It's not like i will be going to be playing many games like that, or at all. I can run crysis and mw3 on my computer, but at low graphics, windowed, at low FPS. As a computer user, I want to be able to use a computer like any other person, but have minor uses for video editing and mid-gaming experience. ;)

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Then I would go for the base 27" or top 27" if budget allows (I wish mine did).

5. MacWanter thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, the top 27" has some nice specs, however, I will be playing around 500$ if it goes well. Im getting 1200$ or 1500$ (Possibly more) for Christmas and birthday, hopefully having this computer last me 6 or more years before upgrading. I will consider 27" or the top 27" depending on the money.

6. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

How old are you? I ask since if you're going into college it may be more beneficial for you to get a laptop.

7. MacWanter thread starter macrumors member

14. I want to be able to keep this computer until I'm about 20. Or later :D

8. Fangirl615 macrumors newbie

I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread. I also need help. I will be a first time Mac buyer and I have pretty basic needs. I will use my iMac for basic word processing, my YouTube channel, and photo editing with photoshop cs6, and basic interwebs.

I'm not a huge techie person so I desperately need help in knowing what specs and what I will need to purchase extra for my machine. I can't afford the 27in iMac so please help a future Mac lover out! Thanks!

9. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I guess that leaves use the 21" model in your case I'd get the base model with upgraded ram for longevity. You can't upgrade the ram yourself on the 21" model.

10. Fangirl615 macrumors newbie

I know you can't upgrade the RAM yourself, I plan to upgrade the ram. But what about that whole fusion drive thing? Is it worth getting for what I will be using my system for. I have close to 6,500 pictures and planned on just getting an external.

11. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

We'll have to wait for benchmarks on the fusion drive.

12. MacWanter thread starter macrumors member

The fusion drive sounds interesting. Depending on the price, I will most likely get it. Simply because it allows for a full 1T of space rather than some taken up by standard programs. Plus, it will be faster than a normal HHD. Tim cooks said in the keynote that the fusion drive would be ALMOST the same speed as a standard SSD. Meaning that it's basically a cheaper 1T SSD...Or 3T is you so desire. I may just even get the 3T if it's 100$ more or so.

13. iHailCarlo macrumors 6502

These Macs are all so powerful now, that they will all do what you need. Get one of the 27 inchers and call it a day.

14. Hairlesswookiee macrumors member

I'm in the same conundrum. I'm going to go with the 27" though, but will probably stick with the i5 processor and upgrade the GPU to 2gb if it's possible. I'd also like to go with a standard SSD and a secondary HDD if they allow you to customize that without paying for the Fusion drives (I'm not against it, but I want to research how it works and it's performances before adopting into it).