Please help with my decision

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ughbrandon, Nov 6, 2013.

1. ughbrandon macrumors member

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for bothering you, I know this is a mac community, but this also has to do with a Camera.

So my 15th and birthday, and christmas is coming up, I am a big apple fan. anything apple, love it. But i have a problem, its probably not a big deal for you, School is very stressing, and this doesn't help.

For the past year or so I have been very very interested in programming, I got into little addictions. One month all i would be doing was coding webpages for school, teaching others, etc. Then other months I couldnt even stand coding, then i would just get right back addicted! I have a toshiba, And i would like to start coding IOS apps. I have looked into hackintosh, my computer cant even really hand windows 7 really well. I have really been wanting a macbook air lately, so thats the one of the things i want

I started this topic Because about 6 months ago I was a a little growing photographer. Now I absolutely Love photography, especially with the picture qualities of my new 5S. Let me get to the point (sorry if this whole letter is gibberish, Grammar is not my strong suit). So i want a Canon Rebel T3I. thats 600$. But im starting to lose interest in photography, just like i did with programming and coding, but im afraid ill get the mac and just suddenly be filled with wanted a better camera. Missing my chance to get a good Camera.

So Here is my question. Should i get a 2013 MacBook Air, or Pro. Or should i get a Canon Rebel T3I?

I know this may not be a big deal to you, but im very, im a very paranoid person. decisions like these, i cant get much sleep with. If i get a computer, I can get closer to Harvard, and the Phd i want in computer science from there, but with the camera, Its just pure joy. I love using both.

Please leave a suggestion, what i should pick, something please

sincerely,
    Brandon

p.s if you read this whole thing you rock! And if you replied, you rock even more!

----------

I can only get one thing, considering they are both really expensive.

2. chown33 macrumors 604

I suggest "None of the above".

That is, buy nothing now. Wait until you can apply yourself consistently to one thing for a whole 12 months, and only then consider buying something.

It's good that you can recognize this behavior in yourself. Awareness of one's shortcomings is a useful skill. The next step is to take appropriate action, and honestly, I think postponing a buying decision seems the most appropriate.

I also think you should consider whether you have a gadget fixation or are actual interested in producing things with the gadgets. The camera in a 5s is no slouch, and using it well is more about the eye behind the camera. It took me a while to understand this difference in myself, and now I exercise a lot more restraint in buying gadgets. I do still have difficulties in a good used book store, or an artist supply store, or an electronics parts supplier, or ...

Incidentally, I'm a software developer by trade, an electronics engineer by schooling, and I like photography for what it can capture, and drawing/painting for what it can invent.

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Wait it out for a while longer and see what you feel more inclined to do. I have been in the exact same position- and actually am right now (getting into electronics repair). My advice, try and get a part time job, which will be, well, pretty helpful in paying for your stuff. :D

But heres my opinion- there's really not much need in buying a newer mac to code and stuff (I realize this depends on your needs so I could be wrong). My advice would be to look for one from a few years back. You might be able to get a Core i series for $400-500. I would recommend the Pro over the Air as well. My 5 year old macbook handles HTML fairly well, as long as it isn't heavy Flash stuff. I'm sure you can get one for less than $600 that will be able to handle HTML coding and lower/medium iOS stuff.

From a photography standpoint, I would also recommend getting an "older" camera, and the T3i sounds like a reasonable choice. But remember to factor lenses and filters and stuff into the cost of the camera. But the other thing is, jumping from a 5S to a T3i DSLR is a pretty big jump. If a DSLR is what you want, by all means go for it, but if you are not sure I would wholeheartedly recommend finding some friend who is willing to lend you a DSLR for a few days and you can get a feel for it. Your schools yearbook staff might be able to let you borrow one if they have it. You might find that you could settle for a more advanced point and shoot.

And by all means, don't lose sleep over it. It's just not worth it. You're the only one who can figure out what you want to do more, and usually the only way of figuring it out is through some trial and error.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

5. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

A choice of gifts, that's wonderful. Why don't you just get a job and save up for the one that you don't get?

6. ughbrandon thread starter macrumors member

And why is that?

----------

I was actually thinking about that, The "choice of gifts," part is kinda-ish true, My parents will not be paying for the whole thing, ill be paying for some of the price also.

7. ughbrandon thread starter macrumors member

Also, Please do not think that I'm spoiled, I try to separate myself from the teenagers that use a Mac just for Facebook, twitter, etc.

I'm want to use it for school purposes? Me and my friend are relatively intermediate Coders. We have already taken a around 5 different Coding Classes, we had 3 websites. We love doing this stuff, and doing it on a PC, sucks (I have no dislike towards people with PC's).

I would love to become an IOS App Designer! ME and my friend already know some of the basics, and to just start, we need a mac. This isn't just a career opportunity, but a great hobby, and learning experience.

One last thing, When I say career, i dont mean im some little 14 year old who just wants to make a quick buck, if anything my app would be free! I would love to see the dislikes and the likes about the apps. Maybe even have a few bugs, so that i can fix them! I love fixing broken things.

Just please take my point of view from a 14 year old wanting to learn everything about coding, and experience it all! I usually buy everything i want, EVERYTHING. I had to save up for awhile just get my 5S. So please do not think im spoiled, I have a in-detailed reason for anything that i would want, and my parents know that, the computer or Camera would be put to good use.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Not making much sense here.

Making less and less sense. Starting to lose me...

You're seriously questioning why your post doesn't make sense after statements like this?

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Buy a hula hoop. Place it on the floor. Put one foot on the hula hoop, then place the other foot in front of that foot. Keep repeating this step until you get to the end.

10. ughbrandon thread starter macrumors member

im sorry for asking you guys this, only two people have been of any help.
    I get into phases, one month all i do is photography. The next month i don't do anymore photography, instead i code for the whole month. Then the next month, i just do photography, no coding, and so on and so on.

11. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I've started photography this year as a hobby. Let me tell you, if you have the bug it is an expensive one. You could get an older camera with a couple of lenses that would more than suit your needs. However you would still need a (in my opinion) Mac to edit your photos on. Also you mention the coding and stuff way more than the photography. It sounds to me that this is where you see your time spent. And choosing the Mac over the camera is not a one time thing. In the future you can always buy a camera and in the meantime use the one you have.

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi