Please Help With My iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MarkyMarc91, Apr 20, 2013.

1. MarkyMarc91 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I turned on my iMac this morning and it froze at the gray loading screen. So I shut it off with the power button. I turned it back on and this screen popped up:

[​IMG]

I've tried to go through each of the menu choices with no luck. When I go through 'Reinstall OS X', I end up here:

[​IMG]

I purchased this used from someone, I don't have any of the discs you may get with the computer new. I asked him what I should do, he suggested this:

"Hold the power button until it powers off. *Wait a few seconds and hit power again but hold down the option key. *It should give you a few choices to boot from. *You will want to select the one called "untitled" I believe."

I tried the above. Holding 'Option' while it powered back up and this is what pops up:

[​IMG]

When I click on the picture of the drive, it takes me to the 'OS X Utilities' screen as pictured at the top of my thread. Any suggestions?

2. Shadow2k macrumors member

What happens when you select "disk utility" from that list? If you can see your hard drive there, try to repair it and also check its S.M.A.R.T status.

3. MarkyMarc91 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what pops up. I'm somewhat of a rookie with computers. I jumped around the Disk Utility menu earlier without much luck. What should I click on from this point?

[​IMG]

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

In Disk Utility select diskOs2 and Repair Disk Permissions at least 2x then run Repair Disk. If you get errors on Repair Disk run it 2 more times, if it still reports errors you have a hardware issue and the HD needs to be replaced.

5. 7itanium macrumors member

likely a bad hard drive.... one of my machines did a similar thing when my HD went out

but like the person above me said-- try repairing it first

6. MarkyMarc91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's where I'm at now. The Repair Disk Permissions button was faded out, so I tried doing Repair Disk. Is there anything to do from here or is the HD toast? This is what I'm getting:

[​IMG]

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm afraid it does look like the drive is dead...If DU stopped the repair it just means it can't be fixed....You have a couple of options. Remove the drive, stick it in a caddy and see if you can access your files that way. Take it in to an Apple store and ask them to give you a price for a new drive...they shouldn't charge for a look see.

8. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Before replacing the HD you should attempt to reformat the disk. Select the drive in the left panel (500.11 GB WDC...), select Partition button, set partition layout to 1 and select apply.

No point paying for a new drive if it is just a corrupt format.

9. MarkyMarc91 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the above and am here now.

[​IMG]

I wanted to thank everyone that has taken the time to help on this thread so far.