Please Help with OS versions MBP & iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maclaptop, Apr 8, 2011.

1. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Just switched from PC to Mac

Bought a new 2010 MBP with 10.6.4, and a new iPhone 4 with 4.3.x

I've been using the computer for about five months, but the iPhone just arrived right now, and I haven't even unpacked it yet when a question came to mind.

Question:

May I sync the new iPhone to iTunes for the Initial Setup WITHOUT updating OS X on my MBP?

I prefer NOT to just yet, since the computer is running perfectly and I'm still getting accustomed to it.

I'm also not ready to have the Mac App Store installed until I get familiar with the rest of this change from PC to Mac.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yes. I think 4.3.1 requires 10.2.1 of iTunes. Run Software Update and update iTunes. You can skip the OS upgrade.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Well, you'll be fine updating your OS, you're not on Windows anymore, but why would you think you had to? Regardless, you're fine without updating, the 4 requires minimum of 10.5, if you need to update iTunes you can just download it directly.

4. maclaptop thread starter macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I have read so much while prepping to make the switch I can't remember exactly, but somewhere I thought it was suggested to update the MBP OS & iTunes as well. I can't remember what ver of iTunes it has.

But with the knowledge you two have provided, I now understand I can leave it as is, especially since I don't want Ping either. Thanks!

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Well you're likely to run into less random problems if everything is up to date, but I haven't downloaded the new iTunes or updated my phone and I'm doing fine. If you start having anything weird happen I'd start by updating everything.