Please Help with Purchase Advice.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Joerusalem352, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Joerusalem352 macrumors newbie

So I'm in the market for my first MacBook Pro and I have the new 13" with touch bar pre-ordered. However, due to budget constraints I could only afford 8gb.

My plan for this machine is to begin the process of learning programming, and general office work.

My question is will the 8gb limit me? I had my eye also on a 15" refurb from the Apple Store for the same price but quad core and 16gb ram.

I love the newest tech usually but will the previous gen 15" be beefier spec-wise than the one I have preordered? Very torn because my current Lenovo think pad is basically a brick at this point so I need something.

2. justinf77 macrumors 6502

Last year's 15" will be much beefier spec-wise because of the quad core processors, but for programming tasks and general office work the additional power is overkill.

You won't be limited at all. Enjoy your new machine!

3. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

I wouldn't worry, 8gb should be fine for you... I run Xcode, Safari, and Parallels with a Windows VM simultaneously in 8gb with no problem.

4. Joerusalem352 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! I really like the new designs. (First mac, no basis for comparison/disappointment) I'm really excited to finally be in MacOS. Thank you!

5. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

Sorry to contradict, but if the 15in (2015) is really the same price, then i would go with that, the quad core and 16gb ram future proof it a more. the only draw back in going with the 15 is the size and less powerful integrated graphics (i am pretty sure)

6. Joerusalem352 thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, well now I am definitely conflicted... I really like the new design and hardware but this will hopefully be my work computer for a few years while I hopefully learn programming. Plus I could have the refurb by Tuesday vs. 3-4 weeks for the new one...

7. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

I honestly believe what's inside the computer matters much more than what's on the outside. If you're planning on using this in a work environment, a quad core chip and double the ram will be more useful than a row of light up buttons (to me at least).

The 2 inches of extra screen real estate is just icing on top.

8. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

9. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

It's a tough call... honestly I think you will be all right either way you go. The 2015 really has a 2013 processor, so a 2013-quad vs a 2016-duo is probably pretty close. The 2015 is proven, the 2016 has most things newer and more future-proof. The physical size/weight might be the deciding factor...