Please help with Remote Access

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bhodgson0739, Oct 28, 2009.

1. bhodgson0739 macrumors member

Hello all,

This is a new venture for me and I need help/advice best way to accomplish what I need to do as I'm a bit green and don't understand all the details.

I am a editor/motion designer who uses a MacPro at work and at home. I am moving an hour away from my work so I will be at times taking projects home to work on them there. I would like to find a good and reliable remote access software so in the event I forget a file/asset or I need to grab something for a different project, I can access my work computer from home or vice versa... so I need not only remote control, but file transfer capabilities.

I tried Logmein and had horrible lagging problems... to the point of it being unusable.

Will Apple Remote desktop work for me? Seems a bit expensive and I need to install capabilities on both computers so as to see each other back and forth.

If not, is there another option that would fit my needs? I've seen several recommended programs for Windows, but can't seem to find much on Mac...thanks for any help.

Brad

2. Modano macrumors regular

Have you looked into MobileMe? Specifically Back To My Mac?
    The other free alternative I just thought of is setting up an AIM account just for your home Mac, leaving that logged in on iChat and using the request screen sharing feature. You'd need to somehow accept the request automatically but I bet there's a way to do that...

3. Modano macrumors regular