Please help with setup on Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cramazing, May 30, 2013.

1. cramazing macrumors 6502

So i just won an Airport Express in a work contest, I have no real use for it but I will just keep it.

Streaming music from iPhone/ipad to my speaker sounds cool so I will attempt to install it.

upon installation i ran into some problems.

1 Internet connection - AE said it couldnt find any internet, although my wireless still worked on all my devices, but anything connected to the ethernet didnt work or have connection.

2 DNS server - AE said they couldnt find any DNS server.

Now i am no tech guy, i have Verizon fios at home using the router they provided.

The AE is flashing amber light.

2. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

What wireless mode are you using (create a wireless network, join a wireless network, extend a wireless network)?

Since you already have a wifi network, I'd imagine your using Join a Wireless Network. Does it connect to your wifi?

Under internet, you probably want to connect using DHCP. It should get an ip address from your wireless router.

3. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

i actually went and try the create a new wireless network, was this the mistake?

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Only if you intend on having a second wireless network in your home. But to enable internet over your second network you'd need to connect the AE directly to the Verizon router via ethernet cable.

Otherwise, as Brossard said, connect it to your existing network as a client using the "join existing network". Easy, no second wifi to manage.