Please help with specific uninstall advice!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by akarpin, Apr 15, 2010.

1. akarpin macrumors newbie

Hi. I recently completed a trial run of Microsoft Office for Mac. I now have to buy the software and install it, but the site won't let me do that unless I uninstall the trial software. I have no idea how to do this, even after scouring these posts about uninstalls (please don't say drag it to the trash-- I have dragged the dock icons to the trash, but that hasn't seemed to work to completely uninstall it).

Please take me through the process from Step 1; I don't even know how to "find" the software with the Finder. Thank you so much!! This will allow me to have access to the beginning of my first novel, and keep writing! :)

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

dock icons are not the actual programs, lol theyre just icons ;)

goto you application folder and find the bundle for this microsoft thing, drag that to trash, hey presto, there might be some remaining stuff lurking about your machine somewhere, try googling for software un-installers for Mac, i dont know of any as i dont use them,

3. PoianaNana macrumors member

I'm an inexperienced user (some exploits with hackintosh about to buy my first MBP) but I found AppCleaner very usefull: it's free, it gets the job done and it can be setted to automatically clean your machine when you drag the application you want to uninstall to the bin...
    I cannot actually say if the improvement that such a program gives is worth the bother, anyway here is the link:
    http://www.freemacsoft.net/AppCleaner/

Hope it helps,
    P.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Don't do that. There will be stuff remaining.

Good advice.

To do it without that, or similar software, find the uninstaller. I have purchased Office for Mac, and my Office uninstaller is found here:
    ~/Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Additional Tools/Remove Office/Remove Office

The first "Remove Office" is a folder, the second is the program.

5. akarpin thread starter macrumors newbie

still need help with this uninstall, please!

Well, I warned you... you have been very nice to respond (thank you especially, Gregg2, for pointing out specifically what to look for), but I still do not know what Step 1 is-- I can't find the Applications in the first place, though I've looked in System Preferences, etc. Please tell me exactly what to do to find this stuff! Thanks...

6. akarpin thread starter macrumors newbie

can't find uninstaller

well, I found the Applications, but I couldn't find the uninstaller. Can you please tell me how to do that? I just dragged the programs to the trash, but I guess this doesn't uninstall them?

7. akarpin thread starter macrumors newbie

never mind; got it!

found it in folder, like Gregg2 said. Thanks, guys!!

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You're welcome. Glad to help.
    In my haste, I used '~' which stands for your Home Folder, that is Hard Drive/Users/YourUserName as, obviously, I don't know your user name.