Please help with transferring data to a new mac mini!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kmarketing, Mar 11, 2008.

1. kmarketing macrumors 6502

HI,

I've done the searches and see that many recommend Carbon Copy Cloner for what I am trying to do. I was hoping that Tiger has something built in, but just wanted to make sure what is best.

I bought another mac mini, and would like to transfer all the data from the old one to the new one - applications, files, folders, etc.

I was thinking about just physically swapping the hard drives, but if there is something that I can do without getting inside the minis, I would prefer that.

What do you recommend?

And if you do recommend Carbon Copy Cloner, are there any concerns witha third party company being able to get some of the secure information?

Thanks!

2. scr1968 macrumors regular

Why not use the "Migration Assistant" that comes with Tiger / Leopard? All you need is a firewire cable to connect the two. Should do exactly what you want it to.

SCR

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

How would they get any of your info?:confused:

If you want quick but messy use the Migration Assistant. If you want to do it manually, just use Target Disk Mode. You'll need a FW cable.

4. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Migration Assistant looks like what I may be looking for. Thanks so much!

So I would:

1. Install Tiger in the New Mac Mini
    2. Use Migration Assistant on the New Mac Mini

So will there be anything that may be missing or not transferred over in that process?

As for 3rd parties getting info, I'm always paranoid about some of these 3rd party applications installing software that may be able to track things on my computer. May be stupid, but I do get nervous about these things.

Thanks so much for your help!

5. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Little Snitch

Invest a few dollars on a utility called Little Snitch. It will monitor, report, and if you choose, block, any outgoing communications from any applications running on your Mac. It's wonderful for alleviating concerns that any of your apps are "phoning home" without your being aware.

I won't run my Mac without it.