Please help with what to do - website made in iLife, now how to host without mobileme

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EvryDayImShufln, Sep 7, 2008.

1. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Hey

I designed a website to my liking in iWeb, and I was very pleased with how the software functions. It's very simple to just drag and drop your components around, and it was very easy to learn how to use it.

Now comes the problem: it is not to be hosted on mobileme. So I got a friend of mine to host it using frontpage or something.

Anyway, my problem is, I have tried both RapidWeaver and DreamWeaver, yet I cannot open my original page as desired. To be more specific, rapidweaver refuses to open HTML, which I find is laughable, and DreamWeaver opens it but completely screws up the formatting and my components are all over the place.

So what should I do? I would remake the site within rapidweaver, but it appears you cant really make non-theme designed blank page websites. Dreamweaver is a no-go either, it's too complicated to use, unlike iLife where you drag and drop stuff.

Any suggestions? Thanks for al replies!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Why can't you build the site in iWeb, publish as folder and then ftp it to where you want to host it?

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

You mentioned that you designed the website in iWeb, so is it still available when you open iWeb? The reason I ask is that you have to specifically tell iWeb to delete a site before it is removed- and I have the feeling that you are under the impression that iWeb can only publish to MobileMe.

As swiftaw alluded to in the previous response, iWeb is perfectly capable of publishing in a form that can be uploaded to any hosting company, not just MobileMe. Using the "Publish to Folder" selection in the File menu instead of using the "Publish to MobileMe" selection will publish all necessary files to a folder anywhere you want on your hard drive. You then just use an ftp program (Transmit is tops in the book to me, but there are some good free ftp programs out there too) to transfer those files to your hosting company's server and then it appears on the web! :) I maintain 6 sites with iWeb, none of which are on MobileMe so I certainly know it does a good job with other hosts!

If I have read you wrong and that is not what you are having difficulty with, please let us know- it wouldn't be the first time I have made a wrong assumption! :D

4. MurphyM macrumors 6502

The output from iWeb is very unconventional and messy html. Not even iWeb can open the html output from iWeb.

That said, as others pointed out, you can host your iWeb output anywhere. You publish it to a folder and copy it to the server. When there are changes you repeat that process, overwriting the old files. As long as you keep the iWeb project you can update your site.

Here's information about my host and how I automate uploading only changed files when updating an iWeb project.

Third party hosts offer all kinds of benefits and flexibility, but MobileMe has come a long way since .Mac

5. iwebtemplate macrumors newbie

Not sure if your sorted yet, but quick instructions on how to upload your iweb site to the internet at www.ilifehosting.com

6. Event Horizon macrumors newbie

can't you make "non-theme designed" web pages in Rapidweaver using add-ons: Blocks from Yourhead and Blocksbox from Jonasthemes

's what I'm about to do, moving on from iWeb but not as far as Dreamweaver