Please help with which Mini Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WantsAMac, Oct 16, 2009.

1. WantsAMac macrumors newbie

I would like to buy a Mini Mac. The main reason is for the photo and DVD programs. Would the $599 unit be good enough to run these programs, or would it be better to invest the $799 to more memory from the beginning (I know I could u/g myself for $85) and more memory towards the graphics card?

My husband wants the Mac and he wants it now, so he is trying to talk me into the $799 one, as that is all my local store has in stock. But, I don't want to blow $200 just to ge it today if it's not need.

Thanks for any help you could give. I haven't used an Apple since 1990 :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Go for 599$ and upgrade RAM and HD yourself if you want to. You will save money and have more choices and upgrading ain't hard.

3. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I agree with what hellhammer said - upgrading RAM yourself is always cheaper. But unless you absolutely need a mini now, I'd wait. Rumor has it that a new release is imminent.

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I'd argue against HellHammer, largely because touching the insides of the Mini voids your applecare.

5. WantsAMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your input. I do agree that it is cheaper to just u/g myself. But, I didn't know about the warranty being voided. Hmmm it might not be worth the savings of doing myself to void that.

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

The warranty is not voided by upgrading, unless you break it while you are upgrading of course.

7. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

You can upgrade the $599 Mini to the identical specs of the $799 Mini for about $75. That includes upgrading the memory to 2GB (with 1-1GB SO-DIMM) and the hard drive to a 320GB 5400 RPM model. Plus you'd then have the 120GB hard drive to use as a back-up drive/extra drive or to sell. The graphics memory scales with system memory, so putting in another 1GB stick will bring the graphics memory up to 256MB. The procedure is not as scary as it may seem and there are plenty of video how to's online. Alternatively, you can take the parts to certain Apple-certified dealers who will install them for you (for a fee, of course) and it won't in any way void your warranty (which, in the DIY scenario, is only voided if you break it while upgrading).

8. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I'd also go with the $599 mac mini...its very cheap to upgrade it yourself and you also get to choose the brands of your RAM and hdd...

if your local store has only the $799 model, order it online through the apple online store...

9. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Not true, as calderone stated, warrantly is only voided if you break something. As long as you're patient and follow any of the numerous tutorials available online, upgrading the mini is fairly simple.

For less than the $200 extra you'd spend for 2 GB RAM and 320 GB 5400 RPM HDD through Apple, you could upgrade to 4 GB RAM and 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD yourself.

10. Mac Cat macrumors newbie

Mac Mini 2.0ghz and HP 2159M LCD monitor?

I am planning to get a Mac Mini 2.0ghz and would like to know if anyone here thinks or has paired it with the Hewlettt Packard 2159M LCD monitor? Any suggestions?

11. phatlipboardz macrumors member

12. katyoshi macrumors 6502

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not really.. And seeing that Mini has shipping time of 3-5 (2.26 is online only) so that would mean at least a week to it to arrive

14. JCP21 macrumors member

go with the 599$ its all your really need, and getting a better one would be unneeded [​IMG]

15. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Go with the lowest end Mac mini available and buy yourself 4GB of ram and a 500GB hdd from newegg.

16. ymarker macrumors member

I got a current 2009 mac mini refurb from the apple store for $499 which was cheaper than had I used my student discount ($549). Then upgraded the 1gb ram to 4gb (about $60, IIRC) and harddrive to an intel x25 gen2 ssd (about $200, not really needed for what you're wanting to do, or the basic web browsing I do, but by golly it's out there so I must have it).

The most often statement you'll hear re: mac mini purchase - buy the least expensive mac mini then upgrade yourself. There are youtube videos that show you step by step how to do it. I'd pause the video in between and do the steps. Not that hard to do as many here would tell you. I didn't even have a putty knife, but found something in the kitchen (I think it was plastic spatula or something - as you can tell I can't cook :p or follow directions )

17. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

I noticed an interesting difference between the 2.26 and 2.0 (2009). I've owned both. When I started up the 2.0, or woke it from sleep, the optical drive made a very annoying "cranking up" sound. The 2.26 is totally silent, just like my MBP. No idea why this would be different -- maybe my 2.0 had a flaw/firmware difference?

18. ymarker macrumors member

Apple had posted a firmware update sometime back to address this. Just update your f/w.

19. WantsAMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for everyone's help. This is what I decided to do.... Order online the cheapter one and am having it upgraded right from Apple for $45 extra. I know I could do it myself, but I have only replaced memory once on a PC and online a 1GB mod is $30 or so, so I figured for the extra $15 I didn't have to mess with it. BTW, I am able to get government pricing for home purchase to the total before taxes of the lower end mini mac w/ 2GB is $594. I already have external HD's and want another one, so the hard drive issue isn't too big of a deal for me to replace, as I'll just run external. Thanks again!