PLEASE HELP! Would my macbookpro start up if the logic board was damaged?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by McBeats, Dec 22, 2008.

1. McBeats macrumors 6502a

My computer gpu failed, took it to apple store. they ran some tests then granted me the free repair.

2 days later they call me up telling me they cancelled it because of a dent on the corner, 'maybe' damaging the logic board, and applecare will deny it. that dent was there for over a year with no problems/performance issues.

I am positive its the GPU, and not the logic board. The computer still boots up, windows chimes in and everything.

How can I prove this, take this back to apple store, and make them repair it? I was gonna argue it today, but it was jam-packed with people and I just wanted to get it back at least n didn't have time for an appointment.

I got a very important record deal (need to give the guys proper mixdowns) and I don't want to lose the opportunity because I am broke and get denied the gpu repair that I deserve.

I'm at the point of desperation right now, PLEASE if anyones got a good idea, please please please let me know.

thanks for listening in, I appreciate it.

2. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

The GPU is soldered to the logic board, its all one part.

What seems questionable to me is whether the shock that generated the dents also could have damaged the GPU, which furthermore they did not notice when they took the computer, which means the dents are likely negligible and/or could have happened in the shop. And another thing is that model has a known-to-be-defective GPU!! I'd call Apple.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Tell them you need it for work. At the very least this will let them know they'll have a very angry customer if they don't help. Also, ask WHY the dent would've damaged it. Don't accept "It just could". I can't think of how a drop or ding could damage a mobo beyond cracking it or dangerously warping the tray so that standoffs had moved (comes back to cracking the board). The thing has no moving parts on it, everything is latched or soldered together. If it's still in one piece, it survived the impact perfectly. Also, if it failed their GPU test, clearly it suffered from the manufacturing defect, and the damage is in no way your fault.

4. SwitchingtoMAC macrumors member

SwitchingtoMAC

all apple stores have to send laptops out for repair so the rules are more strict for what they will touch when its out there, i would try going to a independent apple authorized repair center they usually have alot more wiggle room when it comes to things like that

5. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Not true at all. They do many repairs in house, but could send it out if they didn't have the part in stock and it would take longer to get it than to overnight it to be fixed. I know because a genius told me so :)

6. McBeats thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for your input guys!

I'm just gonna go in there early tomorrow with my game face on and not take no for an answer.

I've been stressing situations without my precious comp, life is rough.

not that it really matters, cuz I'm BROKE, but wuts a logic board and/or gpu cost to repair from them?