Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imasters

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
Hi All

I am not sure if this is a common problem, but every now and then, my Macbook logs out and closes all apps, can be quite annoying, anything from 20 mins to a couple of hours apart. Apart from this, Yosemite beta works great (apart from Outlook), but I am concerned that this may be related to the older machine I have it on, MacBook early 2009.

Any help appreciated, thank you.

turnepf

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2014
Yosemite Random Logout - Me Too

I'm having this same issue running Yosemite on a MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013) so I don't think it's an issue with your machine being older. Have you found any other information on this issue?

I'm thinking it's related to certain apps, when a function is taking a while to perform, and occasionally when attaching files from finder into web pages or emails and the like. Those just seem to be the types of situations causing it.

Hope it's fixed in the general release!

Thoir

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
Can this have something to do with (?):
System Preferences - Security & Privacy - Advance - Log out after XXX minutes of inactivity.

I use to have this same issue on a early 2011 MBP 13", but under Mavericks and since the last (Mavericks) update.
But after updating to Yosemite, I didn't see this happening to me anymore.

BUT:

If my Mac goes to sleep. It freezes on wake up.
Note this is a long sleep for the Mac, not just a coffee break. But on wake up. I see the login screen. Mouse sometimes moves, but no clicking or using the keyboard is possible. Have to hard reboot the systeem.

And this is so *a lot of swearing words here* annoying!!

clustermagnet

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2009
Having the same issue on a 2014 imac. Yosemite decides to logout from time to time. Very annoying. Running public production release.

iAUser

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
Random logout

I have an early 2014 MacBook Air, connected to an external Dell monitor.

Also experiencing random logout. Most frequently is when switching between users who are logged in via fast user switching; sometimes it's when kicking off random apps. One time all users got logged out when the Mac is trying to pick up a phone call to my cell (Continuity).

Very annoying and I've logged a bug report to Apple.

Cohiba

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2004
Boston, MA
I'm having similar problem. My MBP (late 2011) would shut off, immediately restart, them immediately shut down again. It will sometimes restart and shut down 3 or 4 times in a row all on its own.

It will be totally random and usually 3-4 times it happens.

The only fix (if you can call it a fix) is to boot and use it in safe mode. But even then it will shut down to the login screen. But at least it doesn't restart 3-4 times. I have to logon again and it will work fine, luckily it only does this 6-8 times throughout the course of the day.

Another issue is the battery. Sometimes the battery will show 100% and then it will show zero. As long as I keep it plugged in it's ok.

Hard to imagine this is happening... I really hope they patch it soon!

iAUser

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
OS X 10.10.1 not fixing this

I logged a bug report with Apple. They asked me to supply them with some log files which I did. Turned out there's already an exact problem report in their pipeline so they merged and closed mine.

Was hoping this will get fixed in 10.10.1 but it's still happening after the upgrade.

hoeij

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
My computer (new macbook 15") started doing the same after I installed Yosemite. Switching from one user to another, and then switching back, often
gives strange effects (being suddenly logged out). I have not yet lost data
because most apps are recovered, but still, this should not happen.

This did not happen before I switched to Yosemite.

Spytap

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2010
Also experiencing this. It happens most often when switching between active users, there will be a pause of about 7 seconds, then I'm at the login screen with no users logged in.

Vyper007

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
Same Here

I'm running 10.10.1 on a brand new MBP 13inch and experience this problem about once or twice a day. Its very annoying.

Cant believe Apple would release an OS in this state.

trieut

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
Ditto

Having the same issue. Wonder if it's related to FUS.

Terrible!

FYI: Happening on all of: 2011 15" MBP, 2014 15" rMBP, and retina iMac.

wazgilbert

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
UK South
Late 2013 27" iMac.

multiple users or one user, 20mins or 2 days, but all of a sudden - fade to black - login window - no one logged in.

doesn't matter if you're just browsing web or running 3D intensive. can't force it to happen.

been on 'phone call support last night and have been given a capture app to run when it happens again and mail back the log files.

Has only been an issue since Yosemite, along with Parental Controls problems since the update from Mavericks.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
same problem here. usually happens moments after switching users via Fast User Switching but sometimes happens spontaneously on its own when no users actively doing anything (iMac 27" late 2009 i7, running 10.10.1) - e.g. I woke up this morning to find all users logged out while I know for sure I'd left Safari and other things open on my desktop (console shows a WindowServer crash around 1am)

never experienced these before upgrading to Yosemite, but now it happens every couple days or so.

there's several discussions of these spontaneous logouts over in the Apple discussion forums too (one example, here), so I don't think any of us are imagining this. at least one person mentioned 10.10.2 beta fixes this, but I guess we'll see...

iAUser

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
10.10.2 seems to have fixed this ... so far

Installed 10.10.2 this afternoon, have been switching users many times. So far so good. But have to observe for a few more days.

Things were looking good in 10.10.1 after I did a SMC and PRAM reset for a few days and the problem resurfaced. So we need to observe a few more days to be sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.