Please Help, YouTube stopped working

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ponnster, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Ponnster macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I have tried everything from buying a new router to re-setting/syncing ect

A few weeks ago YouTube stopped playing movies on both of our iPhone 3GS'
    however this is only a problem on my home wifi. On 3G and on other wifi networks we are able to play YouTube videos.
    One phone has OS 4.3.3 (updated after the problem) the other 4.1
    Each phone is with a different network provider
    Wifi Router is Airport Express (just bought it hoping it would solve the problem) previous router was a D-Link DIR-601

YouTube shows error "This movie could not be played" while using the app
    Through Safari (m.youtube.com) it just tries to load forever
    Through Safari Desktop version (youtube.com) there is a message on the top of the screen "You need to update your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video"

I have talked to my internet provider and there is no problem there, Apple says the router is configured properly, every setting has been changed and changed again...Im ready to smash the phones... any suggestions as to what else I could do?

Nether phone has been jailbroken. Please help, I'm completely out of ideas.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

When you're at home watch Youtube on the computer:)

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Not all YouTube videos play on iOS devices. It is possible you are trying to play videos that aren't compatible with iPhones. Some YouTube videos actually require Flash to play.

4. Ponnster thread starter macrumors newbie

Using the laptop still doesnt solve the issue as to why this is happening...
    I thought it maybe the video and have tried millions of random videos... still nothing. The part I don't get is that a video that wont play on the iPhones while on wifi will play on 3G.
    Any other suggestions as to why? Could there be something jamming the data transfer between the phones and router while using wifi?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only thing I would suggest is try another router.
    That would be the only guess cause I dont think your homes internet provider blocks youtube since you can view them on your computer using the same connection.

6. Ponnster thread starter macrumors newbie

We went and got a airport express and got rid of the Dlink but the same problem persists. Even called apple and the router is configured properly ....

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is weird for sure.
    I have no idea what would be causing that.

8. bmcully1 macrumors newbie

i had this same problems heres what i did

1. backup your iphone on your computer

2. restore your iphone to factory settings

3. sync your iphone make shur it has the latest version of software

4. go on youtube

if this doesn't work i would take your iphone to an apple store and have them fixit

9. Ponnster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Had trouble restoring the first time, but seems to be syncing ok now... Hope this works... Tried YouTube after the restore to manufacture , but didnt work. Syncing now with my fingers crossed that in some magical way it will start to work.

10. Ponnster thread starter macrumors newbie

Still no YouTube... The only thing left is to get a new modem... I have tried everything else. Even packed up the modem and router and tried it at another location (I have mobile Internet)

11. AiRTiMe34 macrumors newbie

What ever happen with this? I am having the same problem, 2 iphone 4's 1 iphone 3g 1 ipod touch 2g and an iPad 2 all cannot get youtube over wifi, but the ones that do have access to 3G can get youtube no problem over the 3G.
    My father is also having this same issue with his iphone 4 and ipad 2, different routers, different geographical locations but same ISP.