Please Help!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gadgetgeek1189, Jul 21, 2011.

1. gadgetgeek1189 macrumors newbie

I have a MBP 13in bought in September 2010, running OS X Version 10.6.8. It has 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor and 4GB Memory with 250 GB Hard Drive. My MBP randomly freezes and it is predictable in the it will freeze almost every time I put it to sleep and then open the lid 5-10 minutes later. After the lid is opened, it will completely freeze after about 3 seconds. When I say freeze I mean that the clock stops, the mouse freezes, no response to keyboard shortcuts or anything. All I can do is a hard shutdown holding down the power button. I have completely erased my hard drive and reinstalled Snow Leopard with no success. I have verified and repaired permissions and still the same thing happens. I have also reset my PRAM with no success either. I am out of ideas and can't seem to find anything to help me out after spending several hours googling and trying all of the above. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It's under warranty, seems easy enough to reproduce, take it to an Apple store (make an appointment first).

3. gadgetgeek1189 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply blueroom!
    I was hoping someone would have some other options (other than taking it in to an Apple Store because it will be 3-5 days before I can make it to one).

4. WickedPuddin macrumors member

I recommend you to back up right away because this probably means something is failing. It also could be your temperature levels, do you monitor them?

5. gadgetgeek1189 thread starter macrumors newbie

WickedPuddin, I have already backed everything up because I did the complete erase of the hard drive and reinstalled Leopard. My Mac actually froze three times while trying to write this reply. I finally got tired and switched to an old desktop. It doesn't seem to be the temperature because it was cold to the touch and still froze within 2 seconds of opening the clam shell. It is really aggravating. It has frozen on me 4 times this morning in the 15 minutes that I tried to use it. Any other suggestions are very much appreciated.

6. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

did it ever freeze during ur fresh OS install? if it froze it could be a hardware issue and u need to take it to an apple store.

if it didn't freeze during install it's probably a software issue.

did you install a lot of things after ur fresh OS install?

7. gadgetgeek1189 thread starter macrumors newbie

It didn't freeze during the install. I didn't install anything other than the software that came with the computer and then Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Nothing else has been installed.