Please help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by USMCWifey, Aug 18, 2011.

1. USMCWifey macrumors newbie

My IMAC ran an automatic update and deleted my operating system. Can anyone walk me through installing it from the disc? This would be very helpful as my husband is deployed and this is the only contact myself and the children have with him.Thank you.

2. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

There is an easy answer to your question, but it will restore your computer to the state it was in when you bought it, i.e. without all your files. Do you happen to have a time machine disk attached to your iMac? If so, you can reinstall the OS as well as restore all your files and apps.

3. USMCWifey thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not have the time machine. i just need it to work. every thing was saved on an external hard drive already though. I am just not smart enough to own a mac sometimes. lol

4. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

It's not a question of intelligence, but simply of experience. We are all Mac geeks on this site and are happy to help people in need.

Just to get an idea of what state your computer is in, can you first shut it down (unplug or hold down your power key or five seconds). Next, can you turn on your computer while holding down the shift key immediately after the computer dings. Let me know what happens when you do this. Worst case scenario, nothing will happen; best case scenario, your computer will boot up in safe mode.

5. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

If you have everything backed up on a separate drive, then there is a quick and easy way to get your iMac back to the state it was in when you bought it. Get the disk that came with your computer and insert it into its drive. Then restart the machine, holding down the "C" key after the computer bings. This will cause your computer to boot from the disk rather than the internal hard drive. You will then be given allowed to restore your computer to its original state by reinstalling the operating system. Once this process is done, you will have to copy over from your back up hard drive all your files and apps.

I hope this information helps and I wish you the best of luck getting back in touch with your husband. Semper Fi!