Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgdl36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Im hoping someone can help me without going to the apple store, which there are noe currently where i am at.
My computer screen will go black all the sudden, i will shut down, and restart but the video is still black but the fan goes on really loud and i cant get it back on for hours and hours. I will get lucky and it will start up and be on for days, with no problems, then all the sudden it happens again. What can i do? Is there is a short in the wires? DO I need to take it to the apple store? Please help me.

Thanks!

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
this has happened to a bunch of people including me

we are not exactly sure what the problem is only it has just happened to me while running 10.4.1

you might as well get it checked out at the store because im not sure anyone on here has figured out what causes this

SFVCyclone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Pasadena, Ca
interesting that it happens under OSx.4.1, but you should definately go have it checked out. it could be almost anything, bad ram, may need OS re-install......on and on.

Ogre55

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2005
Contact apple about the problem. I live 6 hours from the nearest apple store and had a similar problem with an older iMac. They hooked me up with a registered repair place in my area. It ended up being a bunk video card and got it fixed no problem.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Since you don't live near an Apple Store your should contact online technical support. That is is your Mac is 90 days old or less, or you have AppleCare. Otherwise there will be a charge.

http://www.apple.com/contact/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.