Please Help?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jakerbzz, Dec 30, 2011.

1. jakerbzz macrumors newbie

Hey, I just got an iPhone from my mom and here are the Specifications:

This is the info i have about the phone so far
    Model: iPhone 3GS
    first 5 digits of SN: 86111
    iOS: 5.0.1
    Baseband at the moment: 5.16.05

The iPhone 3GS is JB'ed untethered on 5.0.1

i want to unlock my phone for t-mobile but i know that i have to update my baseband to 6.15.00

Main Questions:
    What are the EXACT consequences i will face if i update the baseband, and will it affect my calls, texts, etc?
    What does it mean that the 6.15.00 BB update causes the GPS to not function properly?

IF someone would be kind and also give me a written TuT how to successfully unlock this phone? THANKS SO MUCH

PS. Im using windows Vista

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Please refer to the dev team blog about this ipad baseband. If you still decide to do it, the www.iclarified.com has tutorial for you to do this,

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/1718400992/ultra-recycle

3. velocityg4, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Edit: I have no idea whether your phone is an old or new bootrom 3GS. I wrote this for the old bootrom but see no reason why it would not work on the new. Hopefully I put enough keywords in this so that others doing countless hours of Google searches for this specific problem will find this solution more quickly than I did. This is the only way to get the iPhone 3GS to unlock that I have found. The instructions are complete and in order. If this does not work first be sure to follow each and every step precisely.

I was in the same shoes as you. I screwed up and updated through Redsn0w win 0.9.10b3 without preserving my baseband. Ending up with the 5.16.05 baseband in iOS 5.0.1 on my Old Bootrom 3GS. I need the phone working to conduct business so after finding there is no way to downgrade the baseband I went ahead and upgraded to the iPad 6.15.00 baseband.

My problems did not end there as after installing Ultrasn0w 1.2.5 I just received an endless "Searching..." message in the signal bar. I could not get a connection to T-Mobile. This problem also varied with ICCID reporting "No Sim".

Anyways after eight or so hours of trying different methods of jailbreaking, switching between iOS 5.0.1 and 4.3.3, lamenting for not catching that I should have used Sn0wbreeze to make a custom IPSW keeping my 5.13.04 baseband preserved in the first place, and cursing Apple for not letting me just factory unlock the phone I paid for. I finally found the solution to get everything working again and under iOS 5.0.1, baseband 6.15.05 and Ultrasn0w 1.2.5 on T-Mobile.

Location services seems to work. My GPS is dead bang accurate. Data works, untethered reboot, messaging, phone and everything else I have tried thus far.

Here are the steps I performed (Windows). I already had a backup of my iPhone in iTunes. So I hope you do to. This guide does not cover creating a backup. It's not necessary, just convenient for transferring old text messages, phone logs and settings.

1. Download iOS 5.0.1 IPSW for 3GS and Sn0wbreeze v2.8b11 (sorry for the annoying download site).
    2. Update iTunes to 10.5.2
    3. Launch Sn0wbreeze and click through the OK and close credits buttons. Then click the blue arrow.
    4. Browse for your IPSW you downloaded and choose your bootrom type. Then click the blue arrow.
    5. Choose Expert mode then blue arrow.
    6. Click general then blue arrow.
    7. Click activate iPhone checkbox then blue arrow.
    8. Click Install 06.15.00 iPad Baseband. OK the warning. Then blue arrow.
    9. Choose a custom boot and recovery logo if desired (I recommend Evangeline Lilly Boot Recovery :rolleyes:). Then Blue arrow
    10. Arrow through the next screen.
    11. Click Build IPSW. then blue arrow.

These next steps I'm doing from memory as I am not about to risk borking my iPhone again:eek:.
    12. Connect iPhone to computer
    13. Follow the prompts to put your phone into Pwned DFU mode
    14. Remove the SIM card from your iPhone and leave it out until I say so. (Top of 3GS use paper clip in little hole to remove card)
    15. Launch iTunes. Click the prompt stating that iPhone detected in recovery mode.
    16. If not already highlighted select your iPhone in iTunes.
    17. While holding the shift key click restore. Select the custom IPSW made by Sn0wbreeze. Mine was on my desktop titled "sn0wbreeze_iPhone 3GS-5.0.1".
    18. Let the phone restore the IPSW. Sit around and pay attention. Once it has completed iTunes will alert you that the iPhone is restarting. Unplug it from the computer at this point. We don't want it to restore all your personal settings, apps, &c yet.
    19. After the iPhone boots select the pertinent regional settings for you and set up the iPhone as a new phone don't restore. Connect to your WiFi network. Disable location services, skip iCloud setup and don't participate in Apple improvement program or whatever it is called (ever).
    20. Launch Cydia (probably on the second page). Wait for it to download all package info (black bar on top) and run any updates. This can take a few minutes. Once completed search for ultrasn0w. Install the latest version (at this time it is 1.2.5).
    21. Once completed it will prompt you to Relaunch Springboard. Click the button.
    22. Now you are back at your home screen.
    23. Reboot your iPhone (hold down power button until red slider appears)
    24. You can now insert your SIM Card.
    25. Go to Settings and turn Airplane Mode On then Off.
    26. After a couple minutes searching you should now be able to connect to your carrier.
    27. Connect your iPhone to your computer, launch iTunes and allow it to restore your phones settings and sync any data (if desired). At this time you can also start configuring your iPhone for location services, iCloud syncing, &c.

For Mac users, sorry I did this in Windows, the steps should be similar with pwnagetool 5.0.1 instead of Sn0wbreeze. From what I can tell the steps are quite similar to sn0wbreeze just the screens look a bit different. Once you completed making a custom IPSW and booted the iPhone into Pwned DFU mode. Follow 12 to 27.

On a final note. No more upgrading of my iPhone's firmware. I'm sticking with 5.0.1. Every jailbreak and unlock has been a major hassle. I'll wait until I can reasonably afford a Factory Unlock iPhone 4S (or whatever version is out when I finally bite the bullet). If I could not have fixed my 3GS today I would have gone out and bought a 4S. The only reason I jailbreak in the first place is to unlock my phone for T-Mobile.

4. Selena Gomez macrumors member

It means the GPS will not function.

That was a doozy to figure out.