Please Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Flip3380, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Flip3380 macrumors newbie

Ok, so I have a 15" MBP with an OWC SSD as primary boot and a HDD in the optical bay via the OWC data doubler and my Super drive in an ext enclosure.

I am preparing to reformat the HDD and reorganize some files and what not. So I want to install Windows 7 on the SSD from an external SuperDrive. I partition the SSD and then in the install process the machine reboots and that is where it stops. I don't think the system is recognizing the ext SuperDrive. I need Windows for work and will lose it from the HDD when I reformat. PLEASE HELP.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I dont think you can install windows 7 from an external optical drive.

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I actually think you cant.
    But then how does MBA do it? Can they not do it either?
    I have the DL version of windows so never done it through the external drive...

I suggest creating a USB boot stick.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

True - or rMBP/2012 iMac

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Exactly does everyone who has Mac without optical drive have ISO ver of Windows?
    I simply created a USB boot stick since I failed to install many times and just gave up.

6. trikky macrumors regular

You asked for help, so I'm going to give it.

You'll get far more assistance if you use a more descriptive subject heading. Many people don't even bother reading posts with titles such as yours.

I would suggest you update your Subject to get a better assistance rate. If not now, then certainly for future posts.

Good luck.

7. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I installed Windows from a superdrive on my MacBook Air just fine. Did you setup the partitions with the BootCamp wizard? Maybe you need to do that. Did the Windows install finish ok?

8. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Its different on the air - an optical equipped mbp wont boot from external opti properly. Wen i last did one we putnthe opti back i. The macbook and installed on the hdd win7, and then pulled the opti out tomreplace the ssd again.

You may find you have to do this - while time consuming it does work.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Apple installed something in the firmware to fool windows into thinking an internal drive is installed on optical-drive-free macs.

You will not be able to install windows on your computer without putting the optical drive back in. Sorry.

It's a windows problem and has nothing to do with Apple. Windows simply requires you to have an optical drive installed for it to work, period.

10. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Unless your locked in a closet while crazed meth heads toss your house and your only way to get help is thru macrumors then i would edit your title , Just saying