Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erasmus®

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Hi You! I'm a newbie and something very bad just happened to me: from a day to the other, my hard disk got almost full! and I don't know how it did. I have a mbp cd2 equipped with a 160 gb hitachi hd. Yesterday I downloaded some artworks for the songs I have... does this take a lot of space? how can I delete the artworks without delete the songs? please help me!

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
album artwork won't take up a lot of space. Look around your computer and delete stuff you don't need. If that fails, buy an external HDD. 160GB is a lot for the average person to use up.

And also, next time you make a thread, can you use a more informative title? "please help!!!" doesn't give any clue as to what your problem is :)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
It won't be from the Artwork unless you've got one seriously large library.

Open the Terminal and type:-

cd /
sudo du -d 1

and it will tell you which part of the Hard Disk is being used up. My guess is there will be one folder where the numbers will be massive compared to all the others. Use the cd command to go into it (e.g. cd Users) and repeat the "sudo du -d 1" command to track down where the disk space is being used.

You could run one large du command for the whole disk, but I find the tracking it down approach keeps the excessive output down, even if it does take longer.

Best of luck.

Erasmus®

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
It won't be from the Artwork unless you've got one seriously large library.

Open the Terminal and type:-

cd /
sudo du -d 1

and it will tell you which part of the Hard Disk is being used up.

First of all: thanks to everybody for the help! I really need it as the problem isn't solved yet: i tryed what you told me with the Terminal, but tiping the command I had no reaction. I think I'm doing something wrong. Please try to explain yourself a bit better, don't forget I'm really new to mac os and I'm not native speaker english! thanks again!|

Erasmus®

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Might be a bad log file, independent of artwork.

Use a utility like MainMenu to clean up things.

I've been downloading the utility but honestly I don't know how to preoceed. I'm sure the disk was much more free days ago and I haven't been installing anything special, just a few free utilities which I'm sure won't take up so much space! please be patient! thank you!

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Christ, I wouldn't be advising a new user to go into Terminal! That's seriously geeky. ;)
I would suggest Finder>View>Show View Options>Calculate All Sizes (this option is available in List View, not Column View), then click on the "Size" column to see what the biggest files are on your 'puter, and report back on anything which looks huge.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Erasmus®;3246451 said:
First of all: thanks to everybody for the help! I really need it as the problem isn't solved yet: i tryed what you told me with the Terminal, but tiping the command I had no reaction. I think I'm doing something wrong. Please try to explain yourself a bit better, don't forget I'm really new to mac os and I'm not native speaker english! thanks again!|
The command does take a while, but it should come back to you. Did it ask you for a password?

Christ, I wouldn't be advising a new user to go into Terminal! That's seriously geeky. ;)
I would suggest Finder>View>Show View Options>Calculate All Sizes (this option is available in List View, not Column View), then click on the "Size" column to see what the biggest files are on your 'puter, and report back on anything which looks huge.
You see there's my problem. I never even look for the GUI options :)

Erasmus®

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006

Hey thanks a lot for the help Mate! Thnaks to you all! I could solve the problem. I was downloading a demo which was shown 94 gb big. This is obvioulsy impossible because I downloaded it in a few minutes. Thanks again t everybody for the help. I really appreciate you interesting and I'm amazed by the fact you all answer so quick. Take care
If you ever come to Rome and need any help contact me!

Erasmus®

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
The command does take a while, but it should come back to you. Did it ask you for a password?

No it didn't ask me for every pw. I just had no reaction at all. My experience with the terminal is very short I'm afraid...

Erasmus®

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
by the way as you seem to be big experts. I have two question I would be pleased to ask you. I'm not sure this is the right way but I hope this won't disturb to much, otherwise please forgive me.
First: trying to open that fake demo this mornig, I had two crash, one after the other. I had to restart my machine by keeping the turn on button pressed. Is there anything I have to do after this happens. I mean, is there a maintainence I have to do like I did defrag in windows?
Second: I own a mbp. Does any of you guys hear a slight buzz coming from the down, right part of the screen when zou turn down your illumination. I heard it's a common problem, some say it might depend of the lcd inverter. The apple site nly talks about ths problem in 15" mabps, and I've been bringing my machine to the assistance already twice, they said they replaced the hole screen two different times but that slight buzz is still there. Any suggestion? thanks again!

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
In answer to your first question, you could try this routine:
Restart while holding down Command (the key with an Apple on it)+S; when the black screen with white type appears, type fsck -f (including the space); the computer will do a quick check of its file structure, and should report that "Macintosh HD appears to be OK"; if so, type reboot -n (again including the space). If it reports a problem, repeat the "fsck" procedure until you get a clear result.

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
If your screen has a buzz when you turn down the brightness, it's almost certainly a bad inverter, and should be fixed.
You don't need to do anything after a chrash, OS X repairs itself upon startup. But you can always go into utilities->disk utility and click on "Verify disk" to be sure.

Erasmus®

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
If your screen has a buzz when you turn down the brightness, it's almost certainly a bad inverter, and should be fixed.

A bad inverter you say? Well I don?t know a lot about hw, but the shop told me the inverter is in the screen so it was replaced by replacing the whole screen. How is it possible that they replaced my screen twice and the buzz is still there?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
In answer to your first question, you could try this routine:
Restart while holding down Command (the key with an Apple on it)+S; when the black screen with white type appears, type fsck -f (including the space); the computer will do a quick check of its file structure, and should report that "Macintosh HD appears to be OK"; if so, type reboot -n (again including the space). If it reports a problem, repeat the "fsck" procedure until you get a clear result.
Geek :p

Erasmus®

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
A bad inverter you say? Well I don?t know a lot about hw, but the shop told me the inverter is in the screen so it was replaced by replacing the whole screen. How is it possible that they replaced my screen twice and the buzz is still there?

Any answer to my question please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.