Please Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parai11, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

It didn't install, or you quit the installer at that point? It's standard practice for ther installer to give you the space requirements up front. Keep clicking "continue installation".

2. parai11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I gives me this message even before the installer starts.

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Then click "OK", or whatever it says, and continue on with the installation. It doesn't just quit the installer, does it? It shouldn't, anyway.

4. parai11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I never opens the installer. It says for me to clear up the space and try again later.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

What are you installing from, a CD/DVD or a disk image?

6. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

This doesn't make sense.
    Are you telling it to do the install on your hard drive? It's not trying to install somewhere else, is it? Did you try a restart?

7. parai11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im trying to install the a MacDVD and know I cant even find where the cd opens on my comp...

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Then how are you installing it?

Do you mean you don't know how to eject the disk, or that you don't know how to insert it, or that you don't know where the desktop icon shows up? Sorry... just want to clarify.

9. parai11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Basically I put the disk in at first and clicked on the cd icon and when I clicked on the CIV4 it said I didnt have enough room for it to run. The somehow i moved the cd icon off the desktop and nothing comes u when I put the cd in again.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Insert the disk again, right click on the desktop, and choose "Keep Arranged By..." something to organize your icons - the disk icon should show up.

If something really odd has happened, try rebooting... although I can't think of what might cause that.

11. parai11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Didnt work. There are no icons on my desktop right now. Is there anywhere where I can put them back?

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Odd.

I think you'll need to consider rebooting. I find it very odd nothing happens when you insert the disk. So try a reboot and reinserting the disk, after setting the desktop to arrange icons by something.

13. parai11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I managed to get the cd icon on the desktop. When I click on CIV4 it opens a folder that says 0 KB available. It has no install option but it does have a CIV4 icon that when clicked opens the error message.

14. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I am completely baffled by this. Your call, JSW. I'll keep watching to see the outcome.

15. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

It sounds like you're trying to install Civ4 onto the disc, rather than the harddrive.

When you get the CD icon on the desktop, can you see any files inside? Is there a Civ4 icon? If so, drag that to your applications folder. Does it copy over?

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Perhaps the installer is hidden, outside the window? Try selecting List View, and you may find the installer is there after all. It sounds as if you are trying to install it into itself: I get this message when I have too many saved games in my .dmg of Age of Empires, and I have to trash the surplus before I can open the game.

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

When I insert the disk, I get the CD icon:

Civ4_1.png

When I double-click that, I get this:

Civ4_2.png

When I drag the indicated folder to my disk (like the instructions indicate) and open it, I clearly see the Civ 4 game.

Edit: once you've dragged the folder onto your desktop (or wherever) and once it has finished copying (it takes a long time - over 2GB to copy), make sure you click the game icon in the folder on your hard drive and not the one from the CD (i.e., not the one in the pic above).